Saddle width (thickness)

hmgberg

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with saddle materials on soprano ukuleles. I can clearly hear differences between them. I do wonder about the affects of varying thicknesses on tone and volume. Some vintage ukuleles have very narrow saddles. Apart from the contemporary use of thicker saddles for compensation purposes, is there any science involved in determining saddle thickness, or is it primarily an aesthetic decision.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My latest Soprano saddles are now 1/16" wide...I use a slitting saw blade to cut/mill the groove.

I'm with Pete on this one....but mine are wider than narrower. I want the room for intonation and I prefer the look to a thicker saddle.

Last edited by a moderator:
1/8" for more leeway for intonation...once the end client figures out strings and action height...and also for installing under-saddle pickups. And finally, also because all the guitars and basses I build use 1/8" saddles, so it's a universal standard for me.

I use 3/32" because it looks right to me....and I have a 3/32" router bit.
I don't know what changing thickness would do to the tone. The string really only contacts the saddle at one point, no matter how thick it is. I guess you'd have to look at the weight difference between more/less saddle material vs. more/less bridge material routed out of the slot.

Top Bottom