changing strings??

darrendiablo

Reaction score
just somwthing that i wondered whilst playing and reading the forum.... i have aquila strings on at the moment and have only been playing for about 3 months and have used them since day one almost,
now the question is when do you long-timers change your strings? is it every month/year etc, when they snap, or for any other reason?
daz

Last edited:
I think I have read that some folks recommend to change strings and clean/oil the fretboard every 6 months.

Actually...you can change them whenever you want! Some folks change them every month, some it takes months, some just to try new and different strings and some wait a year or longer!
I have heard that if you slide you finger under the string, on you feel little nicks (from fretting) then it's time to change them. Some say when the sound starts to get "muffled or muddy" then it's time to change them.
As for me....I am a 6 month changer, whether they need to be replaced or not. Heck it only costs $6 or so.
Hope this helps!!!

Like Coconut Willie said, everyone has their own preference. It’s going to depend on factors like:
How often you play?
How hard or soft are you playing?
Quality of the strings
I don’t normally notice nicks on the strings but eventually the tone they produces starts sounding mediocre to me. I change my string around every 2-6 months depending on how much it’s played. If I was performing or recording regularly I would probably change them every 1-2 months. Other than that I’ll change strings more often when I feel like trying out a different brand or gauge.

Actually...you can change them whenever you want! Some folks change them every month, some it takes months, some just to try new and different strings and some wait a year or longer!
I have heard that if you slide you finger under the string, on you feel little nicks (from fretting) then it's time to change them. Some say when the sound starts to get "muffled or muddy" then it's time to change them.
As for me....I am a 6 month changer, whether they need to be replaced or not. Heck it only costs $6 or so.
Hope this helps!!!

Yes...this is about right. I usually change mine 6 to 8 months, sometimes a year. Depends on how often I play the uke.

If you're new to playing uke like I am, you may find yourself changing strings more frequently just to find out what the various string sets sound like on your instrument. That's what I'm doing. Other player's descriptions of the sound help, but there's nothing like your own ear and your instrument to tell what sounds best. It's fun to experiment.

The most zen answer is also the most correct (aint that always the way): You should change the strings when it is time to change them.

As for when is the time, well, the answer to that is yes.

Top Bottom