A question about strings...

Bob-in-Alberta

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first (and probably not my last) possibly stupid question. I have just recently purchased my first ukulele (Mainland concert mango) and I have questions about the strings. I have read here that it is a good idea to have a replacement set of strings on hand but I see that concert ukes can use either what is referred to as hi G or low G sets. My uke is a standard GCEA I believe (as I said, I'm really new at this) so I would assume that I would want the hi G. Am I correct? Also, could someone explain to me the difference between the two options? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Bob!

There are two "standard" tunings for uke, high-g and low-g. The only difference is, you guessed it, the g string; it can either be the lowest sounding string (aka: low-g tuning) or the second highest sounding string (aka: high-g).

It sounds like the set you are looking for are high-g (also called re-entrent tuning).

Both of these tunings are widely used - though high-g is the more popular. Guitarist frequently favour low-g tuning (also called linear) as it follows the same pattern as the highest four strings of the guitar.
Each tuning is (sort of) suited to certainly styles of music.

Most ukes are set up to take high-g strings though most can handle low-g just as well. However, because the low-g string is that much thicker, sometimes you will have to widen the slot in the nut to allow for more space for that beefier low-g string.

i recently changed out my mainland concert to a low G....and really prefer it that way....it sounds so much more complete. I also play an 8 string which of course has both...but the low sound of the G really comes through and gives you a bass note to work off of....i've got a mess of ukes...but i'm definately always going to keep my favorite ones low g now

Top Bottom