Pick/scratch guard? Does Aldrine use this on his uke?

mattchiro

Reaction score
Hi Fellow UUers! I noticed on UkeLesson37 'Eric Clapton Tears in Heaven' video by aldrine that the shine on his ukulele has a definite line to it from just behind the sound hole to the neck area. Is this a clear coat he has put on to protect the uke or is it just the clear coat playing tricks with my eyes?

I've got a nohea laminate koa and i'd like to protect its glossy shine - perhaps a laminate sticker? Or am I talking crazy talk? :D

Don't do it! But that's just me. I want my ukulele to have character. I will be proud if I ever get wear marks on mine.

Don't do it! But that's just me. I want my ukulele to have character. I will be proud if I ever get wear marks on mine.

Snork !

Hi Fellow UUers! I noticed on UkeLesson37 'Eric Clapton Tears in Heaven' video by aldrine that the shine on his ukulele has a definite line to it from just behind the sound hole to the neck area. Is this a clear coat he has put on to protect the uke or is it just the clear coat playing tricks with my eyes?

I've got a nohea laminate koa and i'd like to protect its glossy shine - perhaps a laminate sticker? Or am I talking crazy talk? :D

I haven't seen the video, but some cedar top ukes have a clear laminate pick guard, since the wood is so soft.

Pick guards can or cannot be neccessary - can or cannot affect the sound.

The way some people play, there's just no need to worry. A few light scratches in the finish are no big deal. The way other people play, with enough time, you can actually dig all the way through your soundboard (not good).

The clear guards work well, but you can also go for something more substantial (and attractive) as long as it is placed correctly. Ukulele scratchguards don't and shouldn't look like what are on guitars. The way a ukulele is strummed, the damage should occur mainly above the soundhole, and on almost all ukulele designs, this is an area that contributes very little to the sound.

Cuatros are strummed very heavily - violently you might say. There are wooden scratchguards (guardarascas) on both sides of the soundhole, but above where the soundhole bracing occurs. Found also on the early Madeiran ancestors of the ukulele, and on some ukulele designs as well, this is the true traditional pickguard arrangement for a small 4-string instrument.

If you have a pretty slick finish on your uke you might be able to use one of those cell phone protectors. You really don't want or need anything bigger than that anyway. They are cheap, easily removable and less likely to ruin the finish.

Top Bottom