James Hill cover Assam/Like a Bird clawhammer and campanela

ukuleletim

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just worked up (figuratively) James Hill's medley from his new cd Man With a Love Song. It is such a beautiful song I had to try. His recording is just heaven. I still have a lot to smooth out but I couldn't wait (forever).

James' approach to clawhammer uke is like none other I've heard. A blend of clawhammer and campanela. Clawpanela! After all, he wrote the second part of the medley in tribute to John King, my other hero.

I am working on an upcoming Ukulele Secret that will explore and explain the technique. I really love it!

Brilliantly done, Tim. I'm amazed that you have worked these out. I have seen and heard James play these so many times and know the pieces very well and know how tricky they are. I've even watched him from about 3ft away and I can see that you have included all the elements of these pieces. I am seriously impressed.

wow Tim! Gorgeous bit of playing mate. Just superb stuff. Thanks for the post and for your website. :)

Thanks a bunch, you guys.

Ken, if I wasn't so much infatuated with both claw hammer and campanela (separately) I don't think I would had been able to do it. Putting the two styles together like that makes me feel like I just learned how to play again.

Of course, I messed up here and there and didn't do the foot stomping, but I will try that one day as soon as I put some shoes on. I think that will increase the difficulty even more. =)

Top Bottom