Remarkable Wood Resource

agilitydog

Reaction score
Los Angeles is not the first place that comes to mind when one shops for that special piece of stock from a large inventory.

After visiting Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling (JPL and the Rose Bowl adjacent!), it really took my breath away... 50,000+ board ft of Ziricote, Cocobolo, Honduran Mahogany, Myrtle, Wamara...too much to take in. It is run by one of the most accommodating and down to earth fellows I've met in a long time, Damon Stathatos.

The size of his inventory juxtaposed to my inquiry about woods for ukuleles was a little intimidating, but not because of Damon. He spent almost an hour showing me around and talking about his desire to provide the same service and interest to broad range of customers. I believe him. Leave a message; he calls back even if you're not buying something.

Quite a remarkable find. I'd encourage folks to see for themselves. I'd trust this guy. And the endless pallets for unbelievable wood...you'd gush too if you'd seen this.

Forgot the link: http://web.me.com/damonstats/Sierra_Madre_Sawing_&_Milling/Welcome.html

Last edited:
I now have serious wood envy! When I made furniture back in the 1980's there was a place in the famous east London district of Limehouse like that - boards of Indian Rosewood and flitches of the most beautifully figured India laurel as well as Yaka - a close cousin to koa! I was like a kid in a candy store every time I visited. Got my first pieces of Andaman padauk from that plce too... now off to open my parcel of Tasmanian blackwood. Starting the day right!

Pete, you reminded me that Sam Maloof's folks get their stock there now. That should warm the cockles of furniture maker's heart.

Top Bottom