Ukulele/Acoustic Instrument Amps - Buying Help

gmak

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new amp to use with my eleuke for performance and practice purposes (mostly performance though, in small to medium venues like restaurants).

I currently have a 30" Marshall FX series, but when I first bought it, I was playing electric guitar most of the time. If I'm not mistaken, Marshall's are designed more for electric guitars...? But anyway, when I use it with my eleuke, I get a real gain-y, grungy, bass-y sound.

I was told that there are amps designed specifically for acoustic instruments. Do you folks have any recommendations?

Thanks!

I like the Fishman loudbox, but Rolands and Fenders are good too. this question has been asked b4. search this site for an in depth discussion.

You can probably get your Eleuke to sound decent through the Marshall without buying anything by adjusting the tone/volume on both the instrument and the amp.

A word of advice for Eleukes is that they don't really sound all that good with the volume completely up. It's too powerful, and the unbalance between treble and bass becomes very apparent. I find that it works better with the volume knob at 60-75%, and the tone knob more towards bass than treble.

I'm by no means an expert, but I use a Danelectro Honeytone (or I did until it broke, it's being repaired though) battery powered and sounds great with my eleuke, I don't play gigs (yet) but when I brought it I was told that it would be good for that too. I recently upgraded to a Danelectro Hodad, which I'm still getting used to, but also makes my eleuke sound good. It's battery powered and also portable and I assume would be just as good for a small venue gig such as a pub or a restaurant. I also have a Tanglewood Acoustic/Electric that sounds good though both and a Vita Acoustic/Electric, though I'm unsure on how good that sounds b/c I haven't had a chance to play it though an amp!

Hope that helps!

Joey :music:

Loudbox series are great - even the mini puts out incredible sound and makes your uke have more bottom than it really has, which is great for the tone. The Mini, which I have, does not have an effects loop, which would be nice, but I love it just the same.

Top Bottom