Masking

freackykit

Reaction score
Hiya,

Using Sony Vegas and just discovered the idea of masking, cutting the outline of myself playing the uke out and placing it in another vid. However we obviously move when playing and the mask stays in the same original outline and does not move when my head moves. I have read you can manually alter the mask frame by frame, but is there some simplification of this process I am missing?

Thanks for reading

Chris

Masking is good for static objects but what you might be looking for is chroma keying using a relatively even lit blue or green screen as your background. Then using the software, you can replace the green/blue background with another video layer.

Hey thanks Trinimon,

This is the exact thing I needed...Since I have some time off work to waste I may experiment with some of my old vids I never posted. I can always 'cheat' I imagine and grayscale the thing to get a solid colour background for practice and see how I go,

Thanks

Chris

No probs. If I recall correctly, Sony Vegas does have chroma key option. Lots of videos on Youtube on how to use Vegas to do it. :)

If I recall correctly, Sony Vegas does have chroma key option

Well this is nifty information. I bought Sony Vegas for my daughter a while back since she showed a real interest in video. I will have to show her this feature.

Thanks for the info

As long as your camera is stationary, most video apps (I think Vegas does this) can create a sort of "mask" (they may call it something different) by taking a sample shot of your background without you in it, and then when you are in the frame, it "subtracts out" the scene from the memorized shot, leaving only you with no background. Well, sort of. It usually asks you to insert a substitute background for it to replace with. It can be another video, or a still image.

Top Bottom