c.1925 Lyon & Healy Banjo Tiple

Jake Wildwood

Reaction score
Yes, it's weirdest iteration of a uke family instrument that I've seen yet!

btip1.jpg

I finished this one off yesterday. It's a 15 1/4" scale tiple neck mated to a banjo pot -- probably someone's custom order and more than likely built by Lyon & Healy judging by various build characteristics.

Everything is original save a probably replacement nut and my replacement (vintage) bridge.

btip9.jpg

You can check out a full write-up with tons of pics over at my blog! (click here)

Very odd, but very, very nice! thanks for sharing. Would love to hear this thing.

Wow! I always wondered if something like this had ever been made.... Very cool, gonna need a sound sample!

Tehe, yes I'm pretty psyched to be able to have my hands on this thingie. I'll be doing a YT clip with it probably today or tomorrow, so will post that when it's done.

It's a really fun sound -- I have tons of experience with banjo mandolins but never liked the high pitch with shorter scale length thing going on with banjo heads... this slightly longer scale with all plain strings gives this much more of a sustained, sweet banjo tone, but with all the goodness of banjo-mandolin stuff going on as well -- the chiming, lush tone of the multiple-strung courses, that is.

Top Bottom