Mainland and Strings

costaricadave

Reaction score
I know there are a ton of Mainland Uke owners on this site. Wondering which strings most folks like the best?? I have a Mahogany Tenor.

I put some Worth Clears on mine after using only Aquilas and its a HUGE difference to me. I really like the way my uke sounds with these strings.

Mahogany tenor--Fremont blacklines

I have a Mainland Mango Soprano, and switching to Worth Clears made a wonderful difference for me. I wanted a more harp like, clear sound on this particular uke, and it worked! I'm keeping Aquilas on my cedar/myrtle. I like different sounds on different ukes.

I have a set of baritone gcea Aquilas on my mahogany Baritone and hate them it's way too high I'm waiting on a set of southcoasts to try out.

I put some Worth Clears on mine after using only Aquilas and its a HUGE difference to me. I really like the way my uke sounds with these strings.

Same for me. I really like the feel of the worths.

What is the difference between the Browns and the Clears? Other than the color...hahaha
I am not sure what the difference, but it is in the formulation, gauges are the same to the best of my knowledge. I have played both, and I have played both on Mahogany. I am not a fan of the clear strings as they are chimey (as are the Martin strings to me)- really chimey to my ear, and I play mostly spruce top instruments. I have had the Browns in more than one Uke, and I am currently loving them (and have for a year) in my Martin which is a solid mahogany. They are warmer to my ear, though some find them dead (nothing is dead in a vintage Martin).
If you like flouro's, try some of the others out there as well, I have Fremont Blacklines in my tenor, they have great tone and projection (but are hard on the hands at that tension), Guadalupe in two spruce top sopranos, and Southcoast in my Baritone. That said- I have not canned the Worth Browns on my mahogany- they are the best I have found for it.

I use D'Addario J71s on my Mainland Tenor and they sound great, I put the same strings on my Kanile'a Tenor and they sound dull, so I guess it's trial and error to find the strings that sound good to YOUR ear.

Mahogany tenor--Fremont blacklines
I never had a Mainland, but did have a Kala solid mahogany tenor. I tried a few different strings on that uke and definitely liked Fremont blacklines the best. Clear, focused, rich, punchy, warm and brilliant at the same time. Intonation was very good with them as well.

I am still happy with the worth clears on them, that came with it....when they wear out, I try something like alohi's Ko'olau..or Martins M600....Happy Strummings..

I have two Mainland tenors. A mango and a red cedar / rosewood. I switched to some clear fluorocarbon fishing leader (basically equivalent to a worth CM set as near as I can figure) and love them on it. I tried a few different sets of fluorocarbon strings on the red cedar / rosewood and just wasn't really thrilled with it (nothing wrong and good volume but just didn't "grab me"). I put Aquila nylguts on it and loved them - this is one of only a couple of ukes that I actually prefer the tone of Nylgut on.

John

I just put Ko'olau Alohis on my Pono mahogany concert, and I love them. Wonder if they are made by Fremont? They are clear and gray in color. Nice ring, sweet tone.

I have a set of Worth Browns that I was thinking of trying. Ever tried them??
Very little difference in the two very similar in sound characteristics and feel, I kinda agree the blacklines are just a little bit stiffer but not much. I like the worths also , actually run a worth/freemont combo on my concert.

I just put Ko'olau Alohis on my Pono mahogany concert, and I love them. Wonder if they are made by Fremont? They are clear and gray in color. Nice ring, sweet tone.
Alohi and Fremont strings are very different. Alohi is actually a monofilament nylon, which makes them a little different from other nylons, but still nylon. I suspect that they might be made by D'addario, similar if not identical to the latter's T2 Titanium strings. In any event, Alohis are definitely not flurocarbon strings. They are much thicker than fluros in diameter, and have a totally different feel and response. They are good strings, rich but not as bright to my ear as Ko'olau's marketing description would suggest. I like their sound generally, but find that their thick gauge can create some problems, namely, that the C string can sound a little tubby and the intonation can be thrown off on some instruments. Good strings, but I like Fremonts much more (and note that some of my impressions are based on how these strings behaved on a Ko'olau ukulele).

I have a Mainland Tenor Mahogany. Put worth clears on it at first, then change to worth browns. LOVE IT. the diff in my opinion is the browns are softer, easier to play and warmer.

Top Bottom