WTB: Macca Islander plastic uke

bynapkinart

Reaction score
I really want to try one out and see how they feel. Anyone have one they would be willing to part with?

Just bought one, but it hasn't arrived yet. Used to have a TV Pal by Eminee,and it was pretty cool, real 'plunky', but I hear the Islanders are the cream of the plastic uke crop. will let you know what I think when it arrives.
correction, I had a Flamingo, TVPal was made by Macc.

Last edited:
depends, on the model, condition, and how bad you want one. I'd say anywhere from 50 - 200 dollars, just a guess. they made a pretty cool baritone, see Chris Tarman's post, and some deluxe models that are really nice. they made a lot of 'standards', and they come up on ebay pretty often.seen , there's one on there now. the pristine ones are pretty pricey for plastic, but you can get a "distressed' one pretty reasonable.

Well I bought a Waikiki (Emenee) a couple of days ago on eBay, but I really want an Islander because they're supposed to be so cool. I think the going rate for one of them is at most $100 with the box and case candy, but most go for about $50 in great condition.

Just bought one, but it hasn't arrived yet. Used to have a TV Pal by Eminee,and it was pretty cool, real 'plunky', but I hear the Islanders are the cream of the plastic uke crop. will let you know what I think when it arrives.
correction, I had a Flamingo, TVPal was made by Macc.
It arrived, cleaned up nicely with some windex and car polish. it was described as having a few small cracks, but the cracks were bigger than described. one on the back and one on back of head. the nut has a pretty sloppy repair to it too. on the good side all I needed to do was clean it, replace the strings, and tighten the tuners. it's good to go. plays and sounds good. the frets are nice and small. very similar to my Kiwaya. very easy to play and has a really nice tone with plenty of volume. it turned out to be the semi-deluxe. with little 'wings 'coming out from the side of the bridge. the damage doesn't effect the playability at all, so I'm pretty satisfied. it's a real player.

I have a standard Islander I'd be willing to sell for a $50 plus shipping. It has a repaired crack in the back and a misshapen area on the back of the neck, but it's clean otherwise and it plays and sounds fine. I also have the chordmaster pushbutton device along with the box, instructions, hangtag and songbook. PM me if your interested.

- Steve

This sounds like a good price. I'd recommend this to the OP. You are always better off buying from a UU member than taking a crap shoot on ebay. a least you know it's playable and not a WALL HANGER. I'll say it again, these are really sweet ukes, very playable with a unique voice you can only get from the finest styrene. Macc was a genius.

:agree:
I received my Playtune ukette yesterday (another maccaferri creation from the 50´s)
I still cant believe how good sounds this tiny tiny uke. Is truly a joy to play:D. Really fun!
I highly recommend those ukettes if you are looking for a sopranino too

There is an islander in great condition at Carousel antique Center in Lake Worrh Florida. I think they were asking 100 or 125 for it. It seemed pristine to me, except that it had only 3 strings. I did not really test out the tuners, but they were intact. If you google carousel antique center and "lake worth" you'll get their phone number. FWIW

Thanks for all the responses everyone, but I think my plastic uke craving is satiated...the plastic Wai Ki Ki (Emenee) uke arrived last night and I'm having a great deal of fun with it. The Islander might be a tick up in terms of quality, but I'm really surprised at the tone this thing gets. I'll be sure to post a pic or two with a sound clip so everyone can see it. So far though, it is a way better instrument than the $15 I spent on it would suggest.

Thanks again everyone!

Welcome to the world of plastic ukulele fun, Ben. Congratulations!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing your new baby.

Top Bottom