Proper adjustment of Schaller tuners?

Gadzukes!

Reaction score
I have a new (old) Kamaka standard, and after putting some Worth Browns on it I'm having a heck of a time getting it to stay in tune. I've tightened the screws as much as I can using my fingers and I'm hesitant to use a screwdriver. They're tight enough that when I adjust them now they creak.

Is there a trick to adjusting them?

If you just recently changed the strings, the problem may be less a matter of your tuners being at fault than the strings simply stretching out and settling in. New strings often take from three days to a week to completely settle and hold their tuning.

Maybe easing off the tension on the screws and instead just re-tuning the strings for the next few days would be a good idea.

If you just recently changed the strings, the problem may be less a matter of your tuners being at fault than the strings simply stretching out and settling in. New strings often take from three days to a week to completely settle and hold their tuning.

Maybe easing off the tension on the screws and instead just re-tuning the strings for the next few days would be a good idea.
Giving the strings a little bit of a stretch is helpful too. I think I've mentioned the way I do it before, but just gently pull up on the string with 4 fingers while pushing down on it with your thumb. Do this up and down the length of each string, tune up your Uke and repeat once more. After that your new strings should stay in much better tune and be pretty settled in by the next day.

Adjusting back and forth is one of the shallers big screw tuners weakest points..they loosen out...I notice if I don't adjust mine much...they do fine...I too keep mine on the tight side as they loosen..
A dime fits well in the screw for tighting..so it is handy as I almost always have one....Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Last edited:
Giving the strings a little bit of a stretch is helpful too. I think I've mentioned the way I do it before, but just gently pull up on the string with 4 fingers while pushing down on it with your thumb. Do this up and down the length of each string, tune up your Uke and repeat once more. After that your new strings should stay in much better tune and be pretty settled in by the next day.

Here's how Gordon Mayer of Mya-Moe Ukuleles stretches his strings, beginning at 3:20 or so.

Top Bottom