couple of questions.

mjmeltzer

Reaction score
on a concert size ukulele can you still comfortably play the 12th fret and a couple after that? on the soprano I have once you reach the 12th fret it is very difficult to get a clean sound, let alone a good one out of it. I just don't want the same problem with a concert size. ( i'm going to get an eleuke)

also...concerning eleukes... does the full body jazz model make it harder to play higher frets than on the cutaway model?

I am looking at my KoAloha Concert and there are 13 frets to the body and the 15, 16 & 17 frets are full size.

on a concert size ukulele can you still comfortably play the 12th fret and a couple after that? on the soprano I have once you reach the 12th fret it is very difficult to get a clean sound, let alone a good one out of it. I just don't want the same problem with a concert size. ( i'm going to get an eleuke)

also...concerning eleukes... does the full body jazz model make it harder to play higher frets than on the cutaway model?

On my concert ukes, I find that I can play up beyond the 12th fret without much problems.
It's even better on a tenor and baritone size, as the fret spaces are larger.
I recommend getting a cutaway shaped Eleuke to make it easier.

Best way to find out is trying a concert uke out in a music store to check whether it works for you.

Generally you will have access to the 14th fret before the body starts, and after that it's a little harder, but just takes some practice. Some cheaper instruments don't sound as good when you get that high on the neck. If you're looking for ease of playing, go with a cutaway and you'll have easy access all the way up the neck.

Personally I'm fine with playing higher up on the neck with a Tenor, but with my concert it does get a little cramped when I get past the 14th fret.

Top Bottom