FS: Moore Bettah Soprano Mermaid<SOLD>

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejeweler

Reaction score
S O L D

Well,.....i have decided to sell ONE of my Moore Bettah all koa soprano ukuleles. I recently picked up a second MB soprano, and will continue to look for a MB concert size which i prefer for fingerstyle playing.

I'm selling this one, which is as Chuck made it, because i have to be a bit more practical in aquiring what i am more likely to play regularly. I just purchased a custom all curly koa concert tonight, to tide me over till one of Chuck Moore's becomes available.

Lastly, i'm selling this one to give other a chance to own one of these superbly crafted and sounding instruments! Make an early christmas gift to yourself or someone you love.

The condition is as new like i recieved it 2 years ago, as i have put a careful 100 hrs or so thru it,.....and no strumming. One advantage of fingerstyle playing is it's a lot easier on the finish. Pics are from The Music Emporium where i bought it.

The Mermaid inlay in wonderfully done. She even has a scrimshaw bathing suit top on, although it doesn't show up in the pics. So this uke is perfectly OK to show off and play around the little ones. The tone is full and rich,....with plenty of volumn and sustain. Setup is perfect,.....you would expect no less from Chuck Moore.

Abalone coverage on the top, around the headstock, and rosette. Ebony binding all around, and ebony fretboard, bridge and headstock overlay. Corian nut, bone saddle.

Price is what i paid 2 years ago,.....although i have heard his work can bring double or more when you are fortunate to find one.

Price is $2,250.00 plus $35.00 insured shipping CONUS. Prefer postal money orders, cashere's check, or bank wire. No paypal, sorry.

I am on ebay under: joe-jeweler with 621 flawless feedback. http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=joe-jeweler&ftab=AllFeedback

I will leave it posted exclusively here for a week, before i list it elsewhere.

Doubt it will hand around long, however. lol

MooreBettahSopranoUkeFront2.jpg

MooreBettahSopranoUkeBack1.jpg

MooreBettahSopranoUkeFront1.jpg

MooreBettahSopranoUkeFrontClose1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I'm speechless...

Lot's of "Wows",......and you all haven't even heard it! :D
(sorry, i'm not set up for sound samples)

SOLD Thanks "syfc".

WOW,....that was quick!

Last edited:
lucky me! thanks Joe, for releasing your precious little uke to me!

Joe,

Thanks for posting that after I'd gone to sleep, AND for not making me raid my savings account by doing so!

I'd have jumped in the car and driven the 7 miles to your place, deposit in hand if I'd seen it.

Again, I thank you, my mortgage thanks you, the property taxes thank you, and my wife thanks you for not having to hide the body (mine).

On the other hand......

Damn! I'd have loved to have at least PLAYED it!

-Kurt​

lucky me! thanks Joe, for releasing your precious little uke to me!

You're welcome,.....looks like the early bird (or late night hawk like me!), gets the worm. I only positively decided
to sell this "after" i bought a nice all curly koa concert. Had that not happened, this would not have been offered so soon. But i've been a bit naughty with my credit cards of late. This will help a "little" to offset some of that naughtiness! :D

I think my listing it late night (east coast) gave some others a chance to aquire it where they have missed the opportunity with the previous posting times,....usually much earlier.

Anyway, email me at my main address to work out the details. I sent you a PM with that address listed.

cheers,
Joe T

Last edited:
I just received the MB at work. Had to close the door to my office and play a few very silent songs. But WOW! First of all, a big thank you to Joe, who packed and sent it to me right away--even before receiving my check. And what an awesome packing job you did, Joe. Very secure. As for the uke itself, well... I just can't imagine a better quality uke. I've seen and played a lot of high quality ukes, but this one just shimmers--it literally shimmers! And the playability, almost makes it feel like cheating, it's so silky smooth, clear and pure notes, not a single off note up the neck. I am sure there are other awesome custom ukes out there that I haven't had a chance to play, and I'm sure that they are all awesome in their own way. But this one is just something else.

I just received the MB at work. Had to close the door to my office and play a few very silent songs. But WOW! First of all, a big thank you to Joe, who packed and sent it to me right away--even before receiving my check. And what an awesome packing job you did, Joe. Very secure. As for the uke itself, well... I just can't imagine a better quality uke. I've seen and played a lot of high quality ukes, but this one just shimmers--it literally shimmers! And the playability, almost makes it feel like cheating, it's so silky smooth, clear and pure notes, not a single off note up the neck. I am sure there are other awesome custom ukes out there that I haven't had a chance to play, and I'm sure that they are all awesome in their own way. But this one is just something else.
Welcome to the family!

Mine's nicer! :p (just yanking your chain. Don't get cranky). Moore Bettahs are awesome. I've not heard of a bad one yet. Enjoy!

Sukie--yours is pretty darn awesome!

Welcome to the family!

Mine's nicer! :p (just yanking your chain. Don't get cranky). Moore Bettahs are awesome. I've not heard of a bad one yet. Enjoy!

Glad that it got there OK, but didn't think for a moment you wouldn't LOVE it! :D

......Moore Bettah's are,...well,.....More Better! ;)

I think Chuck's use of a bit deeper soprano body, and use of top materials and skill at fabrication make his sopranos really full sounding. The volumn improved a touch over the 100 hours or so i played that one,.....so i gave you a head start on the opening up process. But it sounded great right away.

Her sister MB soprano will miss her in my safe,....yep,....i store these diminuative lovelies in a secure burglary safe, not a lightweight gun safe. The monetary value to warrant that is there for sure, ....but it's more the irreplacibility and difficulty in aquiring another the main reason.

.....and as Chuck said in another thread,....."it's nice to spread the love",.....enjoy. BTW,...Chuck did me the same service on shipping my recent arrival right away. Nothing worse than having to wait a second longer to get your 1st MB delivered!

I think it appropriate to post the quote below from Chuck Moore from another thread. I've re-read this a dozen times today, and am simply struck by how heartfelt and profound his statements are. Being a new member of the MB "possy", i think you may get the same warm and fuzzy feeling to be surpassed only by actually owning of piece of this artist's heart and soul.

When it comes to designing the actual instrument, I caution people that I am not the Burger King of uke builders. That is, you can't always have it your way. Hopefully I can accommodate some of the customers wishes and work around their parameters but I always have final say in what the finished instrument will be.

There are plenty of builders out there who will build anything you want. I can't do that. If you've been in this business long enough you've gotten your share of crazy requests. Sometimes the customer will suggest something to me that I may be uncomfortable with but I know it's a direction I should be going in anyway so I'll accept it. These are the challenges I sometimes look forward to. They push me out of my comfort zone. I appreciate all of the input I receive from a customer but it's my job to inform them of what I can and can not do and what I do best. My very best ukes were those in which I had ample freedom to work. Of course, this involves instilling trust in your customer!

Hopefully, the customer see's something in what I do that they like. After all, they were attracted enough to my work to want to contact me in the first place. Every uke I build comes straight from my heart and honestly, every uke takes a lot out of me. Musical instruments tend to be traded like baseball cards. So, while the customer buys the ukulele and will own it for however long he chooses, ultimately, the uke will always have my name on it and will always be mine; a reflection of who I am.

I'm not just selling stuff, I'm selling a piece of me, the highest part of who I am. I'm not a factory, I don't crank these things out. I'm an artist and a craftsman. I'm the kind of guy who lays awake at night worrying about the details. I'm very careful of what I put out there to the world that has my name on it. Some people have a difficult time understanding that. I try to gently coax those people to seek another builder knowing that I'm not going to be able to please everyone. I realize I only have so many ukes left in me. Each one I build has to be carefully thought out and considered.

(edited to break up paragraphs for easier reading)

Last edited:
Great idea Joe--I need a safe to guard my ukes! If I have kids someday, my greatest fear is that one of them will sit on my Moore Bettah, making it Moore broken. A safe may be the answer!

BTW, thanks for sending that post by Chuck. Reading it reminded me of reading some things that Steve Jobs had written about how he took pride in his work. Chuck is a true artist and a true craftsman. That he puts so much of himself into each of his builds is the type of ethos I think all of us can aspire to, in whatever we do.

BTW, thanks for sending that post by Chuck. Reading it reminded me of reading some things that Steve Jobs had written about how he took pride in his work. Chuck is a true artist and a true craftsman. That he puts so much of himself into each of his builds is the type of ethos I think all of us can aspire to, in whatever we do.

Yes,.....i found that out awhile back when i passed along a link to Kevin Ryan's abalone strips that speed up the purfling process, thinking it would make his life easier and dig him out of the huge backorders.

Came to find out he had already tried them, but preferred the look of individally cut and set abalone pieces. Spoken like a true artist! I "chuckled" to myself later that i should have known Chuck was aware of the Kevin Ryan abalone strips, and i thought about how foolish that must have seemed at the time. Sort of like someone trying to convince Michaelangelo to try paint in pre-set blended colors to make his life easier! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom