Any Cutaway SOPRANOS out there?

Haven't seen them around for long.. they're probably relatively new to ukuleles.
But I've tried it in store. It's quite good quality. And I know that a few members here have this one, and have commented its quite good too.

It's a bit tricky to find other good quality cutaway Sopranos.

Well, Kala had a nice solid-lacewood cutaway, but that's a limited edition and incredibly difficult to find nowadays.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlnc4w4nbQo

There is also the Mahalo Les Paul and Telecaster models. But in terms of quality, they're not that great.

Tanglewood are a UK only brand, which is why most people haven't heard of them. I have a Tanglewood cutaway Acoustic/Electric and it's brilliantly made and sound great! Highly recommend them :D

Tanglewood are a guitar maker who have recently moved into a few ukes and, actually, they're not too bad. Not the best, but well made with a nice crisp sound. Their Union Series is becoming increasingly popular in the UK.

"oh jeez... my pet panda keeps eating it" ?

Just curious, what is it about the bamboo ukes that you don't like?
--G

Well, by way of nature, bamboo grows in long thin tubes. When the bamboo is harvested and cut for uke production, multiple strips have to be glued together to produce the soundboard. Basic physics would dictate that there would be less resonance using this method of design, as opposed to a traditional one-piece (solid wood) soundboard. I consider them to be more on par with other laminate ukuleles, albeit better, due to the fact that the pieces are only glued together side-by-side and not on top of each-other.

Really, it's more than that I suppose... the few bamboo ukes that I've gotten my hands on sounded a bit shrill and thin. However, I'm a sucker for the aesthetics and all-in-all, IMO at least, they're not a bad addition to any uke collection.

Sorry for the long-winded response lol!

Well, by way of nature, bamboo grows in long thin tubes. When the bamboo is harvested and cut for uke production, multiple strips have to be glued together to produce the soundboard. Basic physics would dictate that there would be less resonance using this method of design, as opposed to a traditional one-piece (solid wood) soundboard. I consider them to be more on par with other laminate ukuleles, albeit better, due to the fact that the pieces are only glued together side-by-side and not on top of each-other.

Really, it's more than that I suppose... the few bamboo ukes that I've gotten my hands on sounded a bit shrill and thin. However, I'm a sucker for the aesthetics and all-in-all, IMO at least, they're not a bad addition to any uke collection.

Sorry for the long-winded response lol!

Whilst i"m sure bamboo ukes do sound poorly, I seriously doubt that it's because it's been glued up from several chop stick like pieces. There are several fantastic multi-piece guitar tops out there. If you look at the structure of a quartered instrument top you can see that it doesn't really matter how many pieces are glued side by side, what matters is the physical properties of the timber itself. Bamboo has very different physical properties than traditional instrument timbers, it should come as no suprise that it would sound different (worse)

Personally, I'm pro-bamboo. I have a Paulele and its lovely, and LOUD! In a good way though. The intonation is spot-on, which was my initial concern, and the tone is wonderful. They're pretty cheap too, considering they're from the good folks at Kiwaya.

I'm more inclined to go with how an ukulele actually sounds.

There are far too many examples of laminate ukuleles that outperform all-solid and solid-top instruments.
While theoretically solid wood should resonate better, it is not always the case in real life.

The Paulele seems to be one of those ukes that puts many one-piece solid wood ukes to shame.

snip ... Whilst i"m sure bamboo ukes do sound poorly, Bamboo has very different physical properties than traditional instrument timbers, it should come as no suprise that it would sound different (worse)

You are sure without ever holding or playing a bamboo instrument? Just. Wow.

Personally, I'm pro-bamboo. I have a Paulele and its lovely, and LOUD! In a good way though. The intonation is spot-on, which was my initial concern, and the tone is wonderful. They're pretty cheap too, considering they're from the good folks at Kiwaya.

This :agree:

I'm more inclined to go with how an ukulele actually sounds.

There are far too many examples of laminate ukuleles that outperform all-solid and solid-top instruments.
While theoretically solid wood should resonate better, it is not always the case in real life.

The Paulele seems to be one of those ukes that puts many one-piece solid wood ukes to shame.

And this :agree:

Top Bottom