string help

When they become hard to tune or sound dead. Every couple of months is usually a good time, but it all depends on the kind. Some strings start out sounding really bright, but as they get worn in they settle - Worths are a good example.

My concert has had the same strings for at least 2 1/2 years and they still sound great. They are hilos but i do need to change them.

When they break or show excessive wear from rubbing against the frets. Otherwise, you can go years without changing uke strings if you're happy with the sound.

When they break or show excessive wear from rubbing against the frets. Otherwise, you can go years without changing uke strings if you're happy with the sound.

I knew I wasn't lazy or cheap. Thanks haole you just made my day. I noticed that the nylon strings last longer than wound strings. I am waiting on my new set of tenors with the low g to change them out on my tenor. They lasted about 4 months.

I use black nylon strings and believe me mate,,, i giv em a freak'n flogg'n
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TqD-M1_-xZs
I hav'nt changed them in 4 nearly 5 mths,, and not gonna change em untill i break one,, and i'm try'n to break em,,,ha, still seem to get good sound out of em too,,
will post when i finally do break one and happen to change em,,
stay tuned,,

Years? Really?

I find that depending on how much I've been playing a particular ukulele that it's will tend to lose it's edge after about a couple of months. It kind of fluctuates because I've got a few ukes that I kind of rotate through playing, but there's probably a thing where after 70-80 hours of play I can hear the sound deteriorate. It'll lose a bit of the sparkle on the high end and start sounding a bit flat.

At that point I'll usually put off changing them for another week or so because I'm lazy. But also because my ears and perceptions will be different at different times. Eventually there will be no doubt that it sounds dead. Then I change the strings.

I'm also still experimenting with how different brands of strings sound on different ukes. It's an ongoing thing...

Top Bottom