PDA

View Full Version : Has quality gone up or is it my imagination?

Witters
11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

I have recently tried out some below $150 Soprano's. Kala Mahogany, Spruce, and another Spruce Concert and they all played pretty good.
In fact I'm going to get one this weekend because I was very impressed.

So I was wondering if the quality in these low end Uke's has gone up because a year ago I tried out some stinkers and reckoned you couldn't get anything good for less than about $300.

Has anyone else found this?

modern day ukuleleist
11-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I hope so.

About to buy my first ukulele for slightly over $200... I hope it's not a waste because it's gonna be a long time before I can save up for something people on this forum consider "high quality."

Witters
11-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Going on what I found you will get a great Uke for that price.

kissing
11-04-2011, 06:25 PM
There were always two kinds of inexpensive ukes:

1. Inexpensive ukes of poor quality
2. Inexpensive ukes of good quality

Lately, more companies have been producing inexpensive ukes of good quality.
Perhaps due to competition?

Witters
11-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Hmm. Must be the same with high quality because I bought a very well known branded Uke and it was terrible.

Jon Moody
11-05-2011, 02:44 AM
It's definitely across the board in terms of inexpensive instruments. Twenty years ago, any instrument under a certain price point (dependent upon the specific instrument) was a piece of junk. Any starter instrument really wasn't worth the plywood it was built with. Now you can buy a starter instrument and have a decent axe that can last you a long time.

mm stan
11-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Any uke will have inconsistancy levels in sound preformance..even expensive ones.. just the lower cost ones might have a fewer good ones.. find that gem in the haystack..they are there..

guitarsnrotts
11-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Over the last 5 years or so, I've seen the quality of acoustic instruments coming out of China improving. These include guitars in the $400-500 price range made of solid woods as well as ukuleles in the $150-250 price range also of solid woods. I think you still need to stick to certain names as the QC seems to vary amoung different brands.

rem50
11-05-2011, 07:13 AM
I think there are many good quality affordable ukes. I have a $75 Kala soprano that has great sound. I have a Koaloha concert and am looking to get a concert under $300 that I can take out more. I am confident I will find something very nice.

Paul December
11-05-2011, 09:53 AM
It's getting better...
I had a Kala Archtop (from the original batch) and it was very nice, but developed a problem and it was replaced under warranty. The replacement (from a newer batch) already showed some improvements. If that happens within a line, just over a couple years, imagine what has happened across the board.
I recently purchase a $60 soprano pineapple from Luna (through Amazon) and was very happily surprised by its light construction and playability.