Tenor/Concert Ukuleles for an Intermediate player?

SCDavidKim

Reaction score
I have been playing the ukulele for about a year now and I am tired of using my old mahalo. So I went looking for a Concert or Tenor to upgrade to and found many many options. But I want to know your opinion :) Which one should i consider?

The ukes ive had a close look at are the:
Lanikai Lu21 series
Kala KA series
Anuenue P2 "Papa"
Cordoba 20Cm or 20TM
Fender Nohea Tenor

Thanks a lot!

Out of the ones you've listed, I'd go with the Kala. They're incredibly well made for the price, sound great, and are a blast to play if they've been set up properly.

Lanikai Lu21 series...a great uke :cool: Mine came with Aquila strings, not sure if that's the norm or not.

whats the intonation like on the lanikai? apparently its not very good... Thats what im worried about

What are your opinions on the Fender? Is it worth a look?
No experience with their ukes, but they are primarily known for electric guitars. Seems like they just wanted to catch the popularity wave and added some (Chinese made?) ukes to their line-up. Not saying they can't be decent/good, but I would probably start elsewhere.

Kala has a solid rep for good instruments. I love my Kala thinline tenor. :)

I seem to recall a comment once by MGM here that he'd recommend Kala over Lanikai.

My first uke was a mahogany Cordoba tenor. Mine's a very nicely made uke, although others have said their quality can be hit or miss.

Never touched one, but I've heard good things about Anuenue.

Thanks! Looks like the Kala is the best of the bunch! Any other recommendations?

Thanks! Looks like the Kala is the best of the bunch! Any other recommendations?
Honestly, you can over anal-yze things.

It is time to buy an uke and get on with learning to play it and having fun!

If you're like most uke players, you won't stop at one anyway. :p

Thank you everybody! Especially to rook who took his time to make a recording of his uke. Thanks :)

Make sure you get one that's set up on any of the listed ukes... personally if I had been playing for that long I'd be saving my pennies and looking at good solid bodied ukes like Mainlands or Ohanas. Not sure what your price range is though.

personally if I had been playing for that long I'd be saving my pennies and looking at good solid bodied ukes.

Very appropriate advice. I have committed the mistake before. Now I am holding back on the shopping spree and start to accumulate my fund to get a solid-body and quality Ukulele. There are many good brands around, and I am still undecided which one to choose from.

Kanilea Islander.....laminated if that's all you can afford, solid if you can afford it. I'm hearing feedbak that the laminated models sound fantastic.

PS: I just thought I'd mention that I saw played a Kala Solid Lacewood with a solid spruce top at MIM's table at the Tamba Bay Ukulele Getaway this past weekend and it sounded shockingly good.....I mean really good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom