PDA

View Full Version : That stupid Doubleclick ad is killing forum performance

Pippin
11-05-2011, 10:04 PM
That stupid Doubleclick ad at the top of the page is not loading right and it is killing the forum performance.

Pete Beardsley
11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
What ad? I don't have any ads at all on the forum. Am I "special"?!

kissing
11-06-2011, 01:12 AM
No ads in sight for me either..

modern day ukuleleist
11-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Definitely use firefox and adblocker.

consitter
11-06-2011, 01:56 AM
No ads for me either, and glad of it!

Maxjunk
11-06-2011, 02:00 AM
No ads here with Chrome.

kissing
11-06-2011, 02:04 AM
I'm on Chrome too

ItsMrPitchy
11-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Same here non with chrome.

musiccityuker
11-06-2011, 02:10 AM
Using Safari... no ads!

ukulefty
11-06-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm using IE and still no ads here either?!?!?! lol

Manalishi
11-06-2011, 02:55 AM
Firefox plus adblocker,no sign of any ads!

Caboose66
11-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Using iPad...don't see ad, but get white screen when first entering forum and have to back out.

wolfybau
11-06-2011, 03:21 AM
im on IE with no ad, mabee you picked up some malware? try the program 'Malwarebytes' to get rid of it?

ukuhippo
11-06-2011, 03:35 AM
I would love to see ads if I can support this forum with it, but I don't see any.

foxfair
11-06-2011, 05:03 AM
looks like its client side or browser problem, not about the site's ad

gyosh
11-06-2011, 06:03 AM
I mostly use an iPad and I don't have the "white screen" issue or a problem with ads.

Gadzukes!
11-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Agreed, this sounds suspiciously like a machine infected with spyware. I'd be sure you're running a tool like Malware Bytes.

oldtimestrings
11-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Using iPad...don't see ad, but get white screen when first entering forum and have to back out.
I started getting this, too, sporadically over the last week or two. Running Safari on a MacBook. Maybe it's an Apple/Safari thing.
It doesn't happen with Chrome or Firefox, but I've got other complaints about those browsers that keep me from using them as my default.

Tootler
11-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I started getting this, too, sporadically over the last week or two. Running Safari on a MacBook. Maybe it's an Apple/Safari thing.
It doesn't happen with Chrome or Firefox, but I've got other complaints about those browsers that keep me from using them as my default.

I have the white screen problem too. I use Chrome or Firefox (mostly Chrome) in Ubuntu Linux - so not just a Mac issue. When it happens a message "failed to resolve url" or something like it flashes briefly on the screen. A second click on the bookmark usually loads the site OK. I have adblock installed on both browsers.

OldePhart
11-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I.e. and no ads here. Does sound like you may have picked up some malware. Have you recently installed software that might have installed a browser toolbar or other component. I hate that crap because they always distribute the setup to default to install the "extras." If you're not paying attention when you run the installation you can add a bunch of crap that really affects browser performance.

John

itsme
11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
I.e. and no ads here.
Now that you mention it, I'm not seeing any ads in IE8, either. I know I've seen them before.

For those proclaiming they run adblocking software, please consider whitelisting UU. It's only one banner ad per page. I've seen other forums completely overrun with ads and contextual links.

If it helps UU pay for the bandwidth for the forums, I'm more than happy to allow such a minimally intrusive ad to help pay for what I'm getting for free. :)

Pippin
11-06-2011, 09:47 PM
im on IE with no ad, mabee you picked up some malware? try the program 'Malwarebytes' to get rid of it?

Nope, no malware of any kind.

Pippin
11-06-2011, 10:00 PM
For those of you that have not seen it, there is a banner ad that sometimes appears at the top of the forum page. That banner ad is sometimes supplied by "Doubleclick.com" or one of their domain names. No, I do not have spyware or malware on the computer. I used to be in the business of computers-- fixing software issues, actually, and working with the software designers to fix bad code. I was also editor-in-chief of "Connections" magazine, owned by Grapevine Network Productions. After that, I worked for a big computer OEM. So, I am very familiar with computers. My wife is head of marketing and communications for a computer security company. We are in a secure network environment that does not broadcast our ID and is in a wireless server setup that rotates frequencies every fifteen seconds, so even a packet sniffer can't lock onto us. Further, we have MAC permissions set on our router. Nobody can piggyback us. I have all incoming e-mails converted to plain text at the server level. No scripts can run and no virus can plague me.

For the record, I don't need anti-virus software running on these computers with a setup like this and there is no threat of a hack. If I did find a virus, it would have come via my wife's computer and I will have killed it within minutes. We have a network monitor that watches file activity.

By the way, I do not allow add-ons to install. I am using Firefox on the forum. I have SeaMonkey and Opera, too. Again, no add-ins, no search-bars (I hate those things and they are ALWAYS SPYWARE).

poppy
11-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Please take this with the jest it was intended.
As a retired field service engineer from a major CNC machine tool mfg. If I has a dollar for every time a design engineer said over the phone " It can not do that" as I tried to reach through the phone line and drag them on site to show them the result !!!! lol No idea the problem pippin I have never seen the add and I do frequent the board often. I do run CCleaner at least once a day and run anti virus besides. I believe in overkill as a few years ago hijackers were the rage and I caught one, never again ty. Been playing with these puppies since 1961 so I never say can't.
hope ya figure it out.

Gadzukes!
11-07-2011, 06:39 AM
For those of you that have not seen it, there is a banner ad that sometimes appears at the top of the forum page. That banner ad is sometimes supplied by "Doubleclick.com" or one of their domain names. No, I do not have spyware or malware on the computer. I used to be in the business of computers-- fixing software issues, actually, and working with the software designers to fix bad code. I was also editor-in-chief of "Connections" magazine, owned by Grapevine Network Productions. After that, I worked for a big computer OEM. So, I am very familiar with computers. My wife is head of marketing and communications for a computer security company. We are in a secure network environment that does not broadcast our ID and is in a wireless server setup that rotates frequencies every fifteen seconds, so even a packet sniffer can't lock onto us. Further, we have MAC permissions set on our router. Nobody can piggyback us. I have all incoming e-mails converted to plain text at the server level. No scripts can run and no virus can plague me.

For the record, I don't need anti-virus software running on these computers with a setup like this and there is no threat of a hack. If I did find a virus, it would have come via my wife's computer and I will have killed it within minutes. We have a network monitor that watches file activity.

By the way, I do not allow add-ons to install. I am using Firefox on the forum. I have SeaMonkey and Opera, too. Again, no add-ins, no search-bars (I hate those things and they are ALWAYS SPYWARE).

Definitely spyware. Try deleting all your cookies, and maybe your registry file.

;)

coriandre
11-07-2011, 08:02 AM
You seem to be the only one getting adds. Logically, it has to come from your computer.

poppy
11-07-2011, 10:47 AM
1. eusing free registry cleaner
2. CCleaner

both free ware, both are great programs been using them for some time

OldePhart
11-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Please take this with the jest it was intended.
As a retired field service engineer from a major CNC machine tool mfg. If I has a dollar for every time a design engineer said over the phone " It can not do that" as I tried to reach through the phone line and drag them on site to show them the result !!!!...

Yeah, I started out as a technician before I went into software engineering so I came into the game knowing to never say never...except for when you're saying, "never say never." :)

I worked in software QA for a few years and that was always fun to get young engineers who would sit there and tell me that their program couldn't be doing what I was showing them it was doing. This was on embedded avionics software where there ain't nothing else but their software running on a dedicated and physically isolated processor - not even an OS to blame. LOL

sugengshi
11-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I have not seen any ads before, although I wouldn't mind seeing them for the exchange of the free services I am getting from both the UU main site and the UU Forum.

ricdoug
11-07-2011, 03:12 PM
For those of you that have not seen it, there is a banner ad that sometimes appears at the top of the forum page. That banner ad is sometimes supplied by "Doubleclick.com" or one of their domain names.

Aloha, Mickey. I use Internet Explorer and have never seen the banner you are talking about. It could be just timing on my part. Ric

poppy
11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I started out as a technician before I went into software engineering so I came into the game knowing to never say never...except for when you're saying, "never say never."
. LOL

The horror stories go on forever but I was able to put it in perspective in my later years. The original RTL (first digital) in about 1967 ? or there abouts that I worked on was 9 cabinets about 4 x 4 x 6 feet,
and with perifrial power supplys tape readers etc it filled a room about 25x25 it was an SDS930 and had a whopping 32M of memory. way less than a memory stick used today. It took 45 minutes to load programs from 2 reels of 1 inch paper tape lol. this unit i am typing on has 5 Tig of hard drive and 6 gig of ram omg im gettin old! I learned programing in self defence. To stop the "it cant do that " lol

OldePhart
11-08-2011, 11:25 AM
The horror stories go on forever but I was able to put it in perspective in my later years. The original RTL (first digital) in about 1967 ? or there abouts that I worked on was 9 cabinets about 4 x 4 x 6 feet,
and with perifrial power supplys tape readers etc it filled a room about 25x25 it was an SDS930 and had a whopping 32M of memory. way less than a memory stick used today. It took 45 minutes to load programs from 2 reels of 1 inch paper tape lol. this unit i am typing on has 5 Tig of hard drive and 6 gig of ram omg im gettin old! I learned programing in self defence. To stop the "it cant do that " lol

Yeah, those were the good old days. My earliest machine was a CDC 924 "mainframe" computer. It took two of them to run a single flight simulator (no visual, no fancy stuff, very early sims). Each of those beasts was in an oversize cabinet with it's own AC unit on top, and that didn't count the operator's console and the 400hz motor generator that powered it (yeah, that was really wierd). It was so much fun to maintain, too. Hundreds of cards about 3" X 3" with two RTL gates per card. Cards had straight pins and no card guides. Didn't use a phased clock - instead it used a single master pulse and series of delay lines and gates. The pulse would reset the run flip-flop, then the signal would merrily travel through the guts of the machine until at the end of the instruction it would set the run flip flop again to let the next master pulse start the next instruction. Very advanced for it's time because every instruction took just as long as needed, no wasted clock cycles or anything. Of course, if anything malfunctioned all the signals in the whole CPU died.

One machine had 16k of 24-bit magnetic core memory and the other had 32k.

Then, of course, there were about a dozen cabinets of IO and power supplies to handle comm. between the "computers" and the cockpit.

Great fun, though. You actually had to know what you were doing to fix equipment back in those days. By the time I got out of that end of things everything was being delivered with BIT and all a "tech" needed to know was how not to bend the pins while swapping the card the computer was telling him to replace. :)

John