PDA

View Full Version : We Can Work It Out (Beatles)

keonepax
11-06-2011, 02:57 AM
I've always thought this song was one of the harder ones to strum on ukulele. I never could figure out the best strum to use, and the waltz time that the Beatles incorporated in the song didn't help matters. I then had this idea that adding some melodica to emulate the harmonium that the Beatles used might help, and the shift to waltz time just required a little practice. Hope you like my rendition. This features two little Pak-men assisting me...

http://youtu.be/gcjmcDUC1o0

strumsilly
11-06-2011, 03:10 AM
nice job. really liked your little "helpers'. what chords did you use after, " ...for fussing and fighting my friends"

23skidoo
11-06-2011, 03:13 AM
Excellent, John! Your covers are always great, but this is one of the best I've seen, I think. Well performed..... great multitracking, nice job on the mixed meter, wonderful harmonies..... the video editing is superb, as well. All around great stuff, man!

Trinimon
11-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Awesome as usual John! Mahalo brah!

keonepax
11-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Thanks, my friends! Strumsily, I play that part Em // D // C // B //, then the "ask you once again" part is Em // D // C // D //. I needed to practice playing the waltz time and singing at the same time!

mm stan
11-06-2011, 04:02 AM
Aloha Bruddah John,
Awesome as usual...loved your rendition and the beatles..ha ha Pak man's.. soo cool ..they look like my cousin..Happy Strummings...Stan

keonepax
11-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Mahalo, Stan! I think it's not the last you'll see of the Pak-men!

keonepax
11-06-2011, 11:03 PM
By the way, this song is remarkable in the way the Beatles came together to create the song. According to Wikipedia:

"McCartney wrote the words and music to the verses and the chorus, with lyrics that "might have been personal", probably a reference to his relationship with Jane Asher. McCartney then took the song to Lennon: "I took it to John to finish it off, and we wrote the middle together. Which is nice: 'Life is very short. There's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.' Then it was George Harrison's idea to put the middle into waltz time, like a German waltz. That came on the session, it was one of the cases of the arrangement being done on the session."

roxhum
11-07-2011, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the post on the writing of that song. What is not to love about the Beatles, eh? You did a great job. I love all your videos. It took me a little bit to see the little Pak-man on your right shoulder.

coriandre
11-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Good job on the song ! Good work on the video as well.

BadLands Bart
11-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Aloha John...yet another great cover!!! You got it going on!!!!!
Loved it!!

Billsie
11-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I love this video, Keonepax (John)! Thankyou for awakening old ghosts from deep in my ancient past. These ghostly figures, which you have brought forth as if they'd never left, are all decked out in the latest fashion; grey, skin tight cardigan suits! They are playing Vox amplifiers exclusively.
Best wishes. Billsie

__________________________________________________ _____________________

My Original Song on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/billsieofficialu2b?feature=mhsn)
My Website (http://www.billsie.com/)

mikell128
11-07-2011, 06:48 PM
This was awesome, really mellow and the melodica adds a nice touch. And ahhh does anything hit the spot quite like beatle harmonies?

keonepax
11-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the nice comments, friends! Roxhum, I was messing with chroma-key and ended up with an interesting-looking melodica-playing Pak-man. I don't know why my black pants turned white! Not sure what I did!

molokinirum
11-09-2011, 04:18 AM
Aloha John!! Man you keep turning out GREAT covers!!! Another outstanding song and extremely well done!!!
Really enjoyed it....mahalo!!!!

Jnobianchi
11-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Just came back for another listen. Wonderful, wonderful job, John. Multi-tracked goodness!

keonepax
11-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks molokinirum and John! Really appreciate it!

ukuleletim
11-09-2011, 12:37 PM
You have a golden voice..

And flawless on the 3/4 parts

keonepax
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks, UkuleleTim! :)

NatalieLin6
11-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Excellent job on one of my favorite Beatles songs. It has been way too long since my last Beatles cover. Yours inspired me so it may be time for one :)

keonepax
11-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Natalie! Looking forward to it!