Are Ukulele Players Ugly?

Paul December

Reaction score
While watching YouTube videos I noticed many uke players post videos with their faces out-of-the frame. Uke players seem to do this far more often than people playing other instruments....
....what are they hiding? :eek:

For the record, I believe most mandolin players *should* keep their faces out-of-frame :D

Maybe they're putting their uke as close to the camera as possible, so the mic picks up the lower volume?

The headless Ukule-list video is as old as Ukulele itself I think. It is a classic- far less distracting than the "other" video genre currently emerging in Ukulele...

ZOINKS!

WOW!!!!!! would'nt mind havin a jam with her PHEW!!!!!!

Eugene beat me to it.

I did it in the beginning to show off more my "technique", now I don't, but will do with some videos to show off what my hands are doing. I think it's also a way to keep some anonymity online without having to stop doing videos!

When I watch ukulele videos, I'm most interested in watching the players hands, It used to frustrate me when videos showed players from shoulders up, so that you couldn't watch how they're playing. And maybe some ukulele players are shy or, as Joey suggested, need Internet anonymity.

Nope don't think so. I've seen TONS of beautiful players on youtube.

You 'boys' are commenting on her UKE, right?

Now, clothing choices aside, have you ever read through comments made to attractive ladies on their videos? Most seem to note what the commenter wants to 'do' to the lady as opposed to commenting on her uke style. I feel that many ladies that play ukes try to be a bit more conservative so that they can get comments on their 'playing', and not immature, demeaning remarks about the womanly figure which happens to be prominent at uke playing level, or her pretty face.

I, myself, have gotten remarks like 'i would tap that' and such.... It's not actually all that flattering, guys. Keep your pants on, use the brain in your head instead of the ones in your pants, and enjoy the uke and the fact that ladies play them too.

Remember, that despite the coldness of the Internet, every uke playing, video making lady is someone's daughter. I hope that every man has a pretty daughter someday... It likely puts everything into perspective ;-)

Also, uke players seem to want to share more that other instrument playing YouTube-ers.... Gotta hold the uke close to the camera to do that... I know that my head gets chopped off accidentally sometimes. I would also say that many players are shy. They -are- trusting the Internet to not 'hate' them, after all, That's hard to do sometimes...

I personally post videos just because it's fun, it's made me a bit more assertive and confident in my playing and singing and it's great practice for the real world!

Whether or not my face is in frame depends on when I'm recording and where. I personally don't think people would ENJOY looking at my face the entire time, and would rather look at my beautiful ukulele ;)

Paul asked whether 'ukulele players are ugly -- or at least uglier than, say, guitar players.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly am. Pretty damned hideous, actually.

Top Bottom