"Plunky" Banjo Uke

Paul December

Reaction score
I never thought I'd be writing this...
...but my uke has too much sustain.
I recently got a Gold Tone Delux Banjolele and the notes just keep ringing. Normally, I'd want that in my other ukes, but with a banjo, I think I want it more plunky sounding.
I'd prefer not to monkey around with the skin tension, can adjustments be maid at the tailpiece?

Yes, that is an unusual request!! Maybe put a copy of this in the Luthiers Lounge - they would probably have more knowledge of how to 'better it'

cheers

ROberta

Try taking the resonator off and putting a sock or cloth between the skin head and the coordinator rod.

Hi Paul, a lot of clawhammer banjo players put a piece of foam or rolled up cloth between the head and the rod on the inside of the instrument for this very reason. The amount of pressure and the placement (toward tailpiece or neck) determine the amount of dampening on the head. Try experimenting with this to see if you come up with a sound you like.
The tailpiece won't do anything for what you are wanting.

Bill

A piece of rolled up felt under the strings, between the bridge and tailpiece will help mute the banjolele a bit. That might give you a bit more plunky sound.

Elderly (and others) sells a banjo "string mute" - might work for the Gold Tone banjolele, too. See their web site. Looks to be easy to use.

Otherwise, I'd just put some closed-cell foam between the compensator and the head between the bridge and tailpiece.

Or you can put a sock in it. (g) The rolled up sock works, too.

-Kurt​

(My Stella and Firefly are nicely plunky to begin with.)

It's that resonator- they ring quite a bit. Rolled up sock as suggested stuffed between the coordinator and head ought to do it.

Top Bottom