PDA

View Full Version : Which strings for a tenor?

peatstackron
11-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Hello all,
Still waiting for my new tenor uke to drive from the US. It will have Aquila strings already fitted but I want to get a few spares. Looking on the net there are plenty for soprano and concert strings but only one advert for tenors. Is there any difference in the sizes as I know there was quite a bit to spare on my soprano when I fitted new Aq strings and I believe the Webb fluorocarbon ones are even longer making 2 out of each one for a soprano, allegedly. What are the best to buy and from where(in the UK )

Cheery for now,

Peatstack.

Uncle Leroy
11-06-2011, 11:36 PM
I would recommend Worth CTs. Great strings.

MaysaHawaii
11-07-2011, 12:18 AM
I recommend Worth if you like bright and clear sound.

Pete Beardsley
11-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I have always preferred Aquila's but the Worths come highly recommended too and do come in double length packs.
Have a browse around the SUS online store http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/ as they stock a large range. There are other online places too like Foulds Music in Derby http://www.fouldsmusic.co.uk/
There is also eBay if you are that way inclined.

poppy
11-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Worths are a double set; great strings, freemont blacklines are also very good, several like the martin M620 havent tried them personally.

PoiDog
11-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Worths deserve the hype, but I'd also strongly suggest you consider Orcas for a sound that's well balanced between bright and full.

SailingUke
11-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Worths deserve the hype, but I'd also strongly suggest you consider Orcas for a sound that's well balanced between bright and full.

I believe the Orca strings are very UNDER appreciated.
They have sounded super on every ukulele I have tried them on.
I even set a Dolphin up with them, I was not sure how they would swim together, but they work well.

mm stan
11-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Well it depends on you preference of sound you like and the voice of your uke .....for what strings you like... Worths are double length and double priced...so they are average prices..
Well my preference is Martin, Alohis, Aquillas, on some GHS, .......best to try them out for what you want....Worths and Aquilla's are brighter, Martin, Koolau's alohi's are warmer..
In the US I like Elderly Music.com...they have a great selection and priced well...good luck and Happy Strummings...Congrats on your new uke...hope it helps...

ukejoelele
11-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I would also recommend the southern ukulele store, I bought some fremont black lines for my tenor last week- very fast delivery and they have quite a good selection. The fremonts sound sweet, im very happy with them

PhilUSAFRet
11-08-2011, 04:09 AM
I just took some very average sounding Worth clears off my Pono and replaced them with Ko'olau Alohis...................Wow, now it sounds like I always hoped it would. Great balance of Warm, bright, and loud!!!!

lookingforcurly
11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I just took some very average sounding Worth clears off my Pono and replaced them with Ko'olau Alohis...................Wow, now it sounds like I always hoped it would. Great balance of Warm, bright, and loud!!!!

Try Ko'olau Mahana string too.