One lost, one found, and another one just wants my money in Thailand

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I was in Bangkok until 2 days ago. The central part of Bangkok is not flooded so I was able to visit some uke shops. We have driven up north to avoid any possibility of Bangkok flooding and to visit my wife's family so let me just state this: It appears the worst of the flooding is over. They may have saved the most influential part of Bangkok.

Now back to ukes.

I accidentally left my Mainland mango uke in a taxi as my wife and I went to the embassy to get my newborn son a US passport. I was livid until I realized that somebody may find it and use it. One person's unluckiness (mine) means another (taxi driver) may benefit.

So I bought a Kanilea K-1 concert at Ribbee's as a consolation. WOW!!!. I wanted to wait for a trip to Hawaii to buy a Kanilea and Kamaka because I wanted to test what I buy from those makers first. so.... I now play my Kanilea and it is a wonderful instrument.

I then have seen so many uke shops displaying ukes all over Bangkok Even in our travels up country, I found them selling cheap ukes to the upcountry farm communities. Not only the ukes, but, training books - of which, I bought 2 for my wife's family (my family too).

I went to Baan Ukulele and put a Kamaka concert on hold. They wanted cash and cash is king in a flooded country so I didn't want to part with my cash until we get out of crisis mode. diapers and baby milk trump Kamakas. For now. I'm going back to rescue that Kamaka.

As I've played my Kanilea, I have found that my current Fluke I'm using to practice on isn't on the same level as the Kanilea, so, I gave the Fluke to my wife's brother who built our house last year and who has asked to get a uke before. I gave him the DVD instruction book too so he can learn on his own. He had a big smile. That's good because I'm gonna pay him to build a toilet for our new house. A nice western toilet/shower. As this flood has caused lots of lost jobs, he is very happy to have a new hobby and another job.

Last edited:
Hi SuzukHammer. Thanks for the very interesting sharing linking the Ukulele and the flood in Thailand. I didn't realize that Ukulele is such a popular instrument in Thailand that you can see them being displayed by the shops all over Bangkok. It is really an eye opener. I will surely go around and find this out myself on my next trip to Bangkok. From Singapore, it is easier and nearer to visit Bangkok compared to Hawaii.

Do you have the website of those shops selling Ukulele in Bangkok? I just want to have some research before visiting the physical shops there. :D

Congratulations on such a fantastic philosophy of how the whole lost & found episode happened - most of us would have been crushed to lose their uke as you did!

Well done on the terrific replacement & other K that will be yours soon! How do the prices compare over there for the Kaniliea & the Kamaka?? On par with Hawaiin prices?

Cheers

Roberta

Hi SuzukHammer. Thanks for the very interesting sharing linking the Ukulele and the flood in Thailand. I didn't realize that Ukulele is such a popular instrument in Thailand that you can see them being displayed by the shops all over Bangkok. It is really an eye opener. I will surely go around and find this out myself on my next trip to Bangkok. From Singapore, it is easier and nearer to visit Bangkok compared to Hawaii.

Do you have the website of those shops selling Ukulele in Bangkok? I just want to have some research before visiting the physical shops there. :D

hello Sugenshi, I used to live in Singapore and shopped at Ukulele Movement. There was a time when quality ukes could not be kept in stock in Bangkok. its why I shopped mainly online; but, now there are several stores in town that have quality ukes you can demo before you buy. Ribbee should be your first stop. Baanukulele is a decent shop and I hear they sell some second hand as well. There was a couple of shops in Emporium - maybe 4 of them - just keep walking around.

I found a source to buy custom ukes in Thailand so I will make an order before I leave. hint: Just ask Ribbee and BaanUkulele.

I remember about a year ago asking one of the guitar shops if they had any ukes. They scoffed at me and almost ran me out of the store. When I strolled past their shop last week, they had 10 ukes displayed right up front. I laughed. and felt good at the same time. Another shop like that in Emporium now stocks Applause ukes after I sold a Mahalo to one of their customers right in their store.

If you ask me, its overkill on the ukes there but that allows for good sound shopping now and not disappointment like before.

I have become a ukulele snob. The Kanilea is so smooth like butter and sonically Kapow!

Congratulations on such a fantastic philosophy of how the whole lost & found episode happened - most of us would have been crushed to lose their uke as you did!

Well done on the terrific replacement & other K that will be yours soon! How do the prices compare over there for the Kaniliea & the Kamaka?? On par with Hawaiin prices?

Cheers

Roberta

I wouldn't know how the prices compare; but, just so long as they are close, then I buy it because if you pause, stutter or stumble, somebody will buy what you wanted. Its happened several times before to me. If the uke sounds good, then passes the rigid intonation test, then if the vibrations feel good, just buy it. I tried 7 Kanileas before. I missed out on buying a K-3 which was Kapow!; so, when I liked the concert and tested the intonation spot on, I pulled out the plastic - I didn't even ask my wife if it was ok. I just bought it and - its love.

The Kamaka feels like I'm counting my chickens before its hatched but I told them to hold it and I'd be back and I will. I just gotta have it.

Hi SuzukHammer.

hello Sugenshi, I used to live in Singapore and shopped at Ukulele Movement.

Yes. I bought three Ukuleles from UM. :)

hint: Just ask Ribbee and BaanUkulele.

I will definitely remember the names.

I remember about a year ago asking one of the guitar shops if they had any ukes. They scoffed at me and almost ran me out of the store. When I strolled past their shop last week, they had 10 ukes displayed right up front. I laughed. and felt good at the same time. Another shop like that in Emporium now stocks Applause ukes after I sold a Mahalo to one of their customers right in their store.

The shops have started to see the business opportunities from selling Ukuleles.

..... if you pause, stutter or stumble, somebody will buy what you wanted...... Yes, doesn't it happen!! I found my Banjo Uke in a 2nd hand shop & didn't buy it immediately - I went home & stewed over it & rang them back to make sure it was still there & bought it 5 mins later!! It could have gone the other way if I'd hesitated longer!

Amazing how different the Kanileas all sounded til you picked up the one that sounded 'just right'! Well done!

Roberta

The only thing that keeps me from strumming my Kanilea is my shiny new baby boy. He does listen when I play. I in fact started a song based on some chords I threw together which turned out to be the same chords as I Can't Tell You Why by the Eagles.

mojo wide eyed awake.jpgmojo life is sooo good.jpg

mojo in seat.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom