Norwegian folk improv instrumental

drbekken

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/ht-mmlhVCT4

This is an improvised instrumental piece that I called 'The Pine Tree'. It's a little pastiche of some Norwegian folk music stuff, mainly dulcimer music, which is a big tradition here in addition to the hardanger fiddle. I am sorry I didn't go outdoors and find a real pine to sit under while I recorded this, but even if it's a mild autumn up here, it IS chilly, and I chickened out on that project. Maybe later. Anyway, I hope you like the sound of it.

This is great, Doc......it's nice to here you do something different and this is right up my alley.....sounds a lot like the dulcimer music all my hillbilly friends make up in the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains down here in the southern U.S...... good stuff.....

That Richwood sounds like it's made for that particular kind of music.. where do you buy them btw? They don't seem easy to find..

-Tor

That Richwood sounds like it's made for that particular kind of music.. where do you buy them btw? They don't seem easy to find..

-Tor

Richwood is fairly easy to find in the UK, and my two were purchased from a Norwegian web store (webtorget.no). They are obviously cheapos, but the intonation is great, and they don't look too bad either. And, of course, I removed the VERY ugly brontosaurus-sized geared machine heads, and put on some good friction tuners. Mainly for cosmetic reasons, that is.

Last edited:
I'm like Bill doc, this style of music is what I really love...aaah this is a very nice bit of playing mate, I'm trying to learn the apalachian dulcimer at the moment myself and this tune sits sweetly alongside the sounds that it makes. That uke just sounds wonderful too, you play it very nicely. Can almost taste the fresh Nordic air in that melody. Just love everything you do Tor, cheers.

Nice. Back in the 90s, after Henry Kaiser & David Lindley released their "Sweet Sunny North" CDs where they played with Norwegian roots musicians, I was listening to a lot of this kind of thing.

Are you using a standard tuning for that piece?

Nice. Back in the 90s, after Henry Kaiser & David Lindley released their "Sweet Sunny North" CDs where they played with Norwegian roots musicians, I was listening to a lot of this kind of thing.

Are you using a standard tuning for that piece?

Yes, standard GCEA tuning. That Lindley/Kaiser record is absolutely fantastic!! Thanks to all of you guys for positive comments!

Top Bottom