Yamaha Guitalele GL1 These things look like fun, anyone played or own one ?

Leodhas

Reaction score
Sometimes I get a wee bit bored and look for something new and fun to brighten my week (actually the drive behind first discovering ukuleles). Nevertheless, I came upon a wee instrument by yamaha, it's their wee version of a guitalele called the Yamaha GL1. Now it's only about £50/60 so $80/100. Has anyone got or played one of these wee things because if they can stay in tune I may just treat myself for the weekend.

I think they are a standard uke tuning with D A added for guitar players.( according to a write up on line )

I have one.

It's an interesting little beast. It sounds surprisingly good for a little laminate thing. It holds a tune really well. Even with the drastic temperature changes right now it requires very little tweaking whenever I want to pick it up. I keep meaning to throw some higher tension, higher quality strings on there...but it never seems to happen. I think some decent high tension strings would really pull sound out of it.

You are correct about the tuning. ADGCEA.

Yes, they are a lot of fun. I have D'Addario basses on mine and Southcoast Ukes strings on for the trebles. I tried to sell it because as much as I enjoy it I had so little time, but it stuck to my fingers and wouldn't let go. I got mine for $90 shipped on eBay, with the gigbag. I did adjust the saddle by taking it down from the bottom edge to almost half the original height, which made a big difference in feel for me. Well worth the price in my opinion. I have mine tuned down from A however, I like it better there as far as sound and tension. None of my A scale instruments are in A, most are F#.

Top Bottom