If you really let loose...

mendel

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Another thread got me thinking. If you were set loose to build something completely unique and new with no concern about $, what would you build?

What woods would you use and why?
What type of design would you choose?
What would you do to set this- your masterpiece- completely apart from other Ukes you have built in the past???

That's exactly it! Although it would haveto be moulded, not blown (I'm not sure whether you meant blown glass) as I would want it to show all the bracing and kerfing inside. Plus, ground glass stoppers for pegs. I know it's totally mental, but I want one!

Oregon luthier Jayson Bowerman had a glass lap steel at Healdsburg. There are pics on his website, bowermanguitars.com .

Seems to me I've seen pictures of a glass violin... (no idea when or where).
Here She is Dave...Hand blown.
glass_violin.jpg

I don't think most luthiers think in terms building a one time masterpiece. What constitutes a masterpiece? Looks? It has to be sound, first and foremost in my opinion. Does a Strad look any different from most violins, no. Do they sound different, yep. Any well made uke in the right hands can be a masterpiece or sound like one. Yes, we build with every possible combination of woods, size, bling, etc. Do we call them masterpieces, not unless we have a very big ego. Ukes can get so fancy with so many extras that they don't get played, just collected. What's the point of that!

For me, I'd probably make a Tenor Ukulele, with a few features.
- It tunes itself via a motor placed in the tuning pegs
- Has a built in amp with stompbox effects, which can be turned on and off via a touch screen on the back of the ukulele
- The fretboard lights up so that you can upload MIDI like files (like the ones for piano, except, well, ukulele) and learn new songs
- OPTIONAL: Runs on Tridium

My own next personal tenor uke will have milo back and sides (thank you, Aaron), a spruce top, flying buttress bracing, a side port, carbon fiber reinforced back braces, and a 14 fret neck. I'll put in the D-TAR Timberline pickup system that works so well in my current #1 player. Not sure about bling yet. Probably do some just because...

Top Bottom