I want a good Baritone Ukulele

Roller

Reaction score
I'm looking for a really good Baritone Ukulele - I have a Lanakai Koa satin finish at home now but would prefer a glossy finish and better workmanship and a deeper tone. I have seen some nice ones on Youtube but don't know the name of the manufacturers. Something in the $500 to $600 range if possible. I live in Hamilton, Ontario.

Mainland Ukes has your baritone. All solid mahogany give a deeper tone. You could choose gloss finish and tuners. Check on ukerepublic.com, or directly on mainlandukes.com

I just got a nice mahogany Mainland Baritone. I like it a lot, and it has a glossy finish. It is below your target price too, even if you include a case.

–Lori

I just got a nice mahogany Mainland Baritone. I like it a lot, and it has a glossy finish. It is below your target price too, even if you include a case.

–Lori

that's right: a Mainland solid mahogany baritone with gloss finish, hard case and shipping included should not exceed $440 to your adress in Canada.

You also might consider Pono. Excellent workmanship, a great price point, adjustable truss rod. Also, they now offer mahogany, solid rosewood, acacia, and cedar as tone wood choices.

Thanks very much for your replies - I noticed that Mainland has a Red Cedar Baritone as well as the Mahogany. Is there much difference in the sound between the two of them? I would assume that the mahogany has a deeper tone - is this correct?

If you're interested in sound you might look at a Favilla vintage baritone -- they come up fairly frequently on ebay and my vintage soprano rivals my vintage martin in projection, resonance, sustain, and complexity of sound. Frankly, it blew me away and the first time that I took it to our uke club an experienced player asked me if I wanted to sell it. Just a thought. g2

You also might consider Pono. Excellent workmanship, a great price point, adjustable truss rod. Also, they now offer mahogany, solid rosewood, acacia, and cedar as tone wood choices.

I have a Pono mahogany baritone. It has a really nice deep tone and is very playable. YMMV, so try to test drive one if you can, or buy from a seller that permits returns.

If you're interested in sound you might look at a Favilla vintage baritone -- they come up fairly frequently on ebay and my vintage soprano rivals my vintage martin in projection, resonance, sustain, and complexity of sound. Frankly, it blew me away and the first time that I took it to our uke club an experienced player asked me if I wanted to sell it. Just a thought. g2

There's a 1960s Favilla deep body baritone for sale for $695 at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto.
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/35501/35501.php
I played it the last time I was there, and it sounded really nice. It appears to be in great shape, too.

With that budget range...I'd go second hand and wait for one in the marketplace here or FMM...that way you get a preminum production uke for the price if a mid level uke that fits your budget..
Good Luck..

Last edited:
Top Bottom