Just got my first and have a quick question on tuning!

Tycho Brahe

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was at guitar center yesterday and saw the Yamaha Gl1 guitelele and just fell in love with it. I had to take it home and I've never used a uke or anything similar to it before.

I have a quick question though, I read online that the bottom 4 strings should be the same as a Uke, but it seems that the G is an octave lower than it should be. How do I fix this? I Think if I tune it up, it will snap the string.

The weird thing is that it sounds "right" when i play it like a guitar with the G that low. It seems to be the proper tuning for the guitar part of things but it's my understanding that I can play Uke songs AND guitar songs with the tuning of ADGCEA.

Please help me out!

It is a guitar!

Like Phil said, it is a guitar, just one that is uke sized and pitched higher than a regular guitar due to the shorter scale length.

I have a quick question though, I read online that the bottom 4 strings should be the same as a Uke, but it seems that the G is an octave lower than it should be. How do I fix this? I Think if I tune it up, it will snap the string.
A guitalele is not tuned re-entrant. Your G string will be the lower octave.

And please, it is the top four strings (not the bottom) that are tuned like an uke.

I do know of a ukulele player who replaced the low G string on his guitalele with a high G. That way he can still play the songs requiring reentrant tuning while still have some lower bass notes with the bottom two strings.

Ah I see. I think I'm going to just buy myself an actual Uke then. I'm just obsessed right now.

I'm thinking of getting a Lanikai LU-21 because I can get it for cheap on amazon since i have a gift card. Thoughts? I'll search the forums now for some reviews or whatever.

Top Bottom