Polishing a Uke?

beginnerukeman143

Reaction score
just wondering if i could polish the wood on my ukulele.. i think it will be fine i just want some expert opinions. thanks everyone.

PS by polishing i mean just taking some Pledge putting it on a rag or something and applying it to the ukulele..... thanks again

Basically. But I'd use an instrument polish instead of Pledge, unless you're committed to having your ukulele smell lemony fresh. I use Martin guitar polish.

I polished my ukulele and it's looking great.

Pledge is the worst thing that you can use on any furniture, let alone a uke. Pledge contains silicone which becomes embeded in the wood itself, no matter how thick the finish is on your ukulele. If refinishing or repairs are ever required, the silicone will cause big problems with glue adhesion and cause fisheye in the new topcoat.

I've used "Dr. Duck's Ax Wax"... works well.

nathan, you can buy dunlop guitar cleaning and maintenance kits, and every time I swap the strings on my uke, I go through and give it a top to bottom cleaning. I bought mine at a guitar center for like thirty bucks, and it also comes with a couple special rags and what not. Also a good directions sheet. I think there are five bottles, but I can only use four, because one is for cleaning steel strings.

edit: I found it for you! happy birthday love! http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-System-Guitar-Maintenance-Kit/dp/B0002E1H9W

Well, for myself...I prefer automotive polish.."New Finish" it alot more durable..
+1 on automotive finishes - most of the specialized "guitar polishes" you buy are just repackaged auto polishes at exhorbitant prices.

Actually, though, for several years my favorite polish on almost everything has been Renaissance wax. A little on the expensive side (though not as crazily overpriced as most "guitar" products) but it has lived up to it's rep on everything I've used it on, which is pretty much everything in the house that hasn't moved fast enough to get away from me. I've had a $25 tin for several years now and it's still 2/3rds full.

John

can you use autoglym super resin polish, it dries to a powder, just wondering hmmm

With some uke finishes, they recommend you only wipe it with a soft cloth. Be sure you know what finish you have before you start putting stuff on it.

Well, for myself...I prefer automotive polish.."New Finish" it alot more durable..
Funny you mention Nu Shine Stan. I had a guitar luthier/player/collector tell me about 10 years ago he used Nu Shine and recommended it for use on instruments so I went out and bought some and have used it on a few of my electrics and they looked great. I haven't tried it on any of my acoustics yet but will.

For gloss finishes, I swear by Virtuoso polish. You have to try it on older instruments; it hides/remove strumming scratches.

For the semigloss I like a Petros wax. For an oil finish I use Howard's Feed N Wax or lemon oil.

With some uke finishes, they recommend you only wipe it with a soft cloth. Be sure you know what finish you have before you start putting stuff on it.
I agree. I own a couple nice handmade guitars that are french polished. All I ever do is wipe them down with a soft cloth.

Unless you're the type who eats Cheetos while they play, I can't imagine needing to do much of any polishing other than the afore-mentioned occasional wipe down. :)

Top Bottom