Cigarbox ukulele

savagehenry

Reaction score
I played a cool cigarbox ukulele at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway last weekend. I really think it would make a nice clawhammer uke. I'm going to try to build a couple of concert scale with my dad. Anyone out there built a good cheap cigarbox uke? Have any tips or suggestions?

I played a cool cigarbox ukulele at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway last weekend. I really think it would make a nice clawhammer uke. I'm going to try to build a couple of concert scale with my dad. Anyone out there built a good cheap cigarbox uke? Have any tips or suggestions?

HEY!!! did we meet this weeknd? ( I'm bad with names/faces)

HEY!!! did we meet this weeknd? ( I'm bad with names/faces)
Yes, my name is Brian, I'm the 6'5" guy with the 6 string Sailor Brand. I was there with my dad and I told you that I would have been happy winning the case to your Kiwaya. We jammed with Jay "C chord" Nunes.

Yes, my name is Brian, I'm the 6'5" guy with the 6 string Sailor Brand. I was there with my dad and I told you that I would have been happy winning the case to your Kiwaya. We jammed with Jay "C chord" Nunes.

RIGHT! I got your dads username but not yours! :)

Glad you had a good time and remember.. always end on c!

here are some pics of the cigarbox uke my brother made for me

CIMG2293.jpgCIMG2294.jpg

as heard in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiY8_SNzeHE

the box Im stoping on is a big wood winebox Ive been thinking of making a guitar out of. I do have an old Domino neck for that one.

this is a lovely box Ive got (one of 6) that Id like to make one but I dont have the necks. its mahogony I think

CIMG2421.jpgCIMG2424.jpg

Last edited:
here are some pics of the cigarbox uke my brother made for me

View attachment 29786View attachment 29788

as heard in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiY8_SNzeHE

the box Im stoping on is a big wood winebox Ive been thinking of making a guitar out of. I do have an old Domino neck for that one.

this is a lovely box Ive got (one of 6) that Id like to make one but I dont have the necks. its mahogony I think

View attachment 29789View attachment 29790

Great sounding cigar box. See necks at Mainland Ukes for your cigar box. This is as good a site for starting re: building a cigar box instrument as you'll likely find with several more great YouTube demos like the one above.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/

Last edited:

I documented my first cigar box uke build last year in this Instructable.
I call it the "Winolele" as I used a wooden wine box for it that held two bottles. Also used a Mainland neck. Great source for parts.

First bit- yes, buy the Mainland neck.
Next- attach it like this

Then, the thinner the top the better the sound- but I can break down making PUP's for you for under five bones if you want, just PM me.
I have made five like this and they are great- here is my electric (with apologies to Hank Williams)

It is also a resonator (made from a tart pan)...more on that later

First bit- yes, buy the Mainland neck.
Next- attach it like this

Then, the thinner the top the better the sound- but I can break down making PUP's for you for under five bones if you want, just PM me.
I have made five like this and they are gYreat- here is my electric (with apologies to Hank Williams)

It is also a resonator (made from a tart pan)...more on that later

Listen to this guy. I learned a lot from my early mistakes and from several folks at UWC11.

Top Bottom