Jake in Connecticutt - who's going?

Gmoney

Reaction score
So I'm working in CT for the next several months & just noticed that Jake Shimabukuro is coming to CT next week! I'm in Hartford, so the closest show is the one at Storrs, CT.

http://jakeshimabukuro.com/shows/detail/2011-11-17_jorgensen_center_for_the_performing_arts/

Anybody else going? I'm supposed to fly out that night, but am going to hold off 'til the AM as I won't get another chance to see him until March in Atlanta.

Deciding which uke to take for the obligatory signing; I think its going to be my Sailor Brand uke.

Not going to the Ct show, but plan on Atlanta. Hope he'll sign a Kala 'cause that's what I got.

Aloha gmoney! My wife and I are going to be there. I'll be taking my Kamaka Tenor and not taking any chances this time. I've seen him 3 times and even ran into him in the airport and either didn't bring a uke or was too flustered to get a signature. This time I'm ready... sharpie's packed and I'm not afraid to use it.

Looking forward to a great show as always!

I'll be there, with my daughter and a couple of friends, along with my eleuke tenor for a signature!

bdukes, maybe we'll have to meet up... I just have to change my flight & hotel plans to stay for the gig. Gonna be my first time seeing him, so can't wait!

Gmoney, that sounds cool. I'd welcome the chance to meet other UU'ers as well. The more, the merrier. I would imagine there's a good chance anyone there with a uke is probably on UU.

And btw, the south needs a good showing in New England. I'm originally from NC, so add Alabama and we have a movement. :)

I've been lucky enough to have seen him 3 times...... I don't know if its worth it to see him again, even though he lives in CT. Does he have a new album?

My ears are still ringing. I just got back from seeing Jake live in Bloomington, IL tonight. He was amazing. Amplified over the loudspeakers in a performing arts center, the crowd of, I'd estimate, about 1500, really enjoyed it. He played, alone on stage, for 1.5 hours almost precisely, and his joy of the music and movement on stage is enchanting. He has a way of increasing the volume of his playing, by varying his strums and including harmonics, etc., and it's varied and enjoyable. He does plenty of fast lightening strumming,and triple strums and the whole enchilada. Plus, he tells little stories and snippets between songs that are both charming and meaningful. The audience ranged from 5-85 years old, and I'm thrilled to say, although the crowd was enthusiastic, they stayed in their seats, rapt by his ukulele. This is much preferred to the rock concert "If everyone just sat down we could all see" complete standing shows. He played all his favorite tunes, Blue Roses Falling, Bohemian Rhapsody, Bring Your Adz, 143, Weeps, and the such.

So, I think you'll all have a blast. I have no idea if he did signings and photo afterwards, as I enjoyed the show and left shortly after his last strum. But, he is a cordial guy, and I'm sure he did something for the fans after the show. He is uploading photos on his own Twitter account, he said, so if your'e a real fan, you might Twitter subscribe if you've not already.

I'm pleased as punch that I got to see him. I'd see the same show again if he were to play here next week. It was special. Cheers.

Last edited:
Ah man I wish I was there. I grew up in CT and am now going to school in Louisiana. That would've been a great time considering a good few of my high school friends attend UCONN. I would've probably brought along my cigar box ukulele to get signed. :/

I wish he would give a show in Australia. I wonder why he's never done that (or atleast, i've never heard him do that).

I've been lucky enough to have seen him 3 times...... I don't know if its worth it to see him again, even though he lives in CT. Does he have a new album?

H'mmm worth it?! I'd guess that I'll go anytime he's somewhere close by, which until now has been never! But... Jake Shimabukuro lives in Hawaii, not CT if that's what you meant above.

Top Bottom