Reaction score
I just saw in the Kamaka web site:

Soprano HF-1: old price $695 up to $845
Pineapple HP-1: old price $695 up to $845
Concert HF-2: old price $925 up to $1045
Tenor HF-3: ancient price $1090 up to $1245

Soprano, Pineapple and Tenor increases prices in almost 20%
Concert increases a little less.

What happened? koa wood is now really hard to find?

In comparision with koalohas soprano and pineapples (both $550), the kamaka prices is almost 40% above! In tenor size, koaloha ($1000) is 25% less. Has long time ago that the Koaloha site is not updated, but two months ago I spoke by email with Brian, and prices were still the same I put here.

Kamaka now is more expensive because of the popularization of ukuleles with singers like Eddie Vedder?
Or Koaloha has so much love for the ukulele, so much koa in stock and so much sales to don't increase prices yet? :D

Kanilea K1 models with UV gloss finish has prices close to kamaka prices.

A warning:
hawaiimusicsupply still has the old prices in Kamaka ukes

Last edited:
Wow...I was at Kamaka in August and Fred Jr. did not mention anything about a 20% price increase. Ouch!!!

It was just a matter of time before they went up in price. That is one of the reasons I bought my Kamaka HF-3 last year....I knew I wanted one and I knew they were just going to go up in price. I periodically check their site to see the status - a couple of weeks ago maybe even last week they were still advertised at the old price....when I looked on Monday they had gone up. They will probably have another price increase in another year or two.

As a noob i thought that a price difference between KoAloha and Kamaka had always been that much which is why I thought most people prefer KoAloha because it was actually better value!

Yeah I checked just a few days ago and I saw the old prices, does any one know what the standard deluxe goes for?

You need to call them for pricing - as it states on their webpage. Good luck.

Ah crud! Now my "special" custom is gonna cost me a few more month's savings! Grrr.

You should already have your "special" locked in on the price they originally quoted you.

Wow, that's a hefty increase! Right in time for the holiday season. I wonder how much of this has to do with the increasing demand for koa, or whether it's just reflective of the prices of everything going up these days.

You should already have your "special" locked in on the price they originally quoted you.

I wish but I haven't placed my order as yet, I was waiting for March/April next year to do it so it would be ready for pickup when I get there in June. :p

Hmmm, been thinking about a soprano...was going to go Kamaka because I think they have a slight edge in the soprano size but looks like it'll be a KoAloha for me, after all. :)

John

I wonder how it will affect sales. Their uke's are definitely quite a bit more expensive now than their competitors.

For a basic model concert uke:

Ko'olau - $700
KoAloha - $750
Kanilea - $770
Kamaka - $1045

I think the price hike will help make a lot of decisions for a lot of people. 20% is pretty steep. Sort of like what NetFlix did. I'm sure Kamaka will do fine as I imagine their uke's are still in high demand, but I think it still gives some space for the other K-brands to really increase their market share.

One of the things kamaka is doing is oncluding with their higher-priced ukuleles a proprietary Kamaka case that is an upgrade from their old cases and has a "Kamaka" label on the front.

This is from the Gryphon Stringed Instruments website:

"Kamaka just had a price increase, but part of the new deal is that they're now shipping their ukes in much better hardshell cases, and those cases have a Kamaka label. There's not a big change in the new prices for the Baritone or the 6-string and 8-string. Tenors However the price increase for the Concert and Soprano sizes is substantial (the Concert goes from $865 to $993.) We have a few Kamaka Soprano models, and several Concert models, that we received before the price increase. We're going to sell those at the old price, but the models that were shipped with the new case will be sold at the new price. Sorry, we can't sell earlier Kamakas with the new Kamaka-branded cases simply because shipping empty cases from Hawaii is too expensive."

Here's what the new case looks like.

attachment.php

I'm sure the factors people mentioned other than the case come into play -- koa is more scarce, shipping costs and employment-related costs are higher, and demand for Kamakas is probably up (especially in Japan, from what I understand). If you want to lock in a Kamama soprano or concert at the old price, you might take a chance on ordering one from Gryphon. They don't always post all of their instruments on their website, so if you want a Kamaka concert but don't see one you like the looks of, give them a call and ask about their pre-price-increase Kamakas. Maybe they'll play some for you over the phone.

I wonder how it will affect sales. Their uke's are definitely quite a bit more expensive now than their competitors.

For a basic model concert uke:

Ko'olau - $700
KoAloha - $750
Kanilea - $770
Kamaka - $1045

I think the price hike will help make a lot of decisions for a lot of people. 20% is pretty steep. Sort of like what NetFlix did. I'm sure Kamaka will do fine as I imagine their uke's are still in high demand, but I think it still gives some space for the other K-brands to really increase their market share.

I think the MSRP for KoAloha is $780 currently - but are the other K brands also due for a price increase?

I think the MSRP for KoAloha is $780 currently - but are the other K brands also due for a price increase?
I was just browsing Hawaii music supply so I got the prices from there. I figure with the surge in Uke sales, they are probably due for an increase, but a 20% one would be pretty steep. Smaller increments are less shocking to people.

I'm sure the factors people mentioned other than the case come into play -- koa is more scarce, shipping costs and employment-related costs are higher, and demand for Kamakas is probably up (especially in Japan, from what I understand). If you want to lock in a Kamama soprano or concert at the old price, you might take a chance on ordering one from Gryphon. They don't always post all of their instruments on their website, so if you want a Kamaka concert but don't see one you like the looks of, give them a call and ask about their pre-price-increase Kamakas. Maybe they'll play some for you over the phone.

Are the prices at Gryphon "firm"? Or are they like other shops where you can haggle a bit?

Wow, cases or no case, that is a steep increase. And honestly, I really don't care for that archtop prominent bump and the branding. I would rather have it at the old price and get my own Kamoa or Ameritage cade for that extra $200 on a tenor.

I love my Kamaka uke, but I wouldn't pay that much of a premium over a KoAloha, especially when the KoAloha comes with more volume, better warranty and better customer service.

I think Kamaka ukes are great, and mine is my favorite of my collection, but I don't think it is worth the difference in price over a KoAloha now.

Well, one of the issues is as my friend Kenny Hill (fantastic classical guitar builder) says, "The problem with making ukes is that they are 3/4 of the work of building guitars for 1/2 the money." And it's true...

Also, these are built by American workers who have to be paid a living wage, and that's not so easy these days. I'd wager that someone took a good look at the books and realized that they were losing money at old pricing.

One more thing...smaller...as in soprano or concert doesn't necessarily mean cheaper by much. Sure you can use slightly smaller wood. Yes, with the smaller ukes you may be able to use one piece tops and backs. But they still take a fair amount of work to make nicely. And then there's the finish, and if you're going for dead flat pore filled gloss, it just takes a lot of time. That's why we offer several levels of trim and finish with open pored satin at one end of the spectrum and dead flat pore filled gloss at the other. Any other company has to do the same in order to stay alive.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the price of Chinese-made ukes over the next few years...

Top Bottom