Opinions wanted, please (wood sets for a Mya-Moe baritone ukulele)

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Aloha,

I'm currently working with Char at Mya-Moe on a myrtle baritone ukulele, and we're at the stage of selecting the wood sets. Here are the myrtle wood sets I'm currently considering:

attachment.php

2a. ................................................ 2b.
attachment.php
attachment.php

2a and 2b are the same pieces of wood, configured slightly differently -- The two grain markings that look like eyes in 2a are closer together and closer to the bottom in 2b, and the darker vertical stripe in the middle of 2a would be eliminated in 2b.

So, two questions:
1. Do you prefer 2a or 2b, and why?
2. Which of the three (1, 2a, or 2b) do you think would look best as the soundboard? By the way, the set that isn't used as the soundboard would be used as the back of the ukulele.

I know that the decision ultimately comes down to my own aesthetic preferences, but I'm really curious to hear your opinions. Mahalo for taking the time!

Mark

Last edited:
I like 1. It looks like the back of a really cool animal.

If you go for 2, I think 2B is better. You'd always be seeing a weird face in 2A.

1 for the soundboard, and 2b for the back I think 2b is just more interesting than 2a.

I'll bet there will be consensus on #1 as soundboard--very interesting figure-- and #2a for the back. Should make for a wonderful instrument. And since I live close to SF and love baritones, maybe I'll even get to play it at some time in the future. :)

Id say save 1 for the back so it can remain unabated by the bridge and sound hole. Then I would choose 2a for the top.

It's going to be a beautiful uke in anycase.

I like 1 for the soundboard - the figure is more dramatic - and 2b for the back.

1 on the back and 2b on the front.
The front of the ukulele gets a little busier with the sound hole, bridge and fret board.
Char has a GREAT sense of what looks good, she is very artistic.
Make sure you consider her opinion.
As you said the ultimate decision is yours. The instrument is going to look awesome no matter what you decide.

I like #1 for the soundboard, and 2a for the back. For me, 2b feels like the book matching is off center.

–Lori

The bookmatching for 2b IS off center in the photo. Char created the look by overlapping the boards, but on a finished ukulele using that configuration she would trim the inner area on both sides of the wood set to center the bookmatching.

Thanks for all the input! Please keep your opinions coming!

I'm the only one apparently, but the more I stare at the wood, I kind of like 2a for the soundboard and 1 for the back. I think those two spots would frame the sound hole to create visual interest and #1 would look awesome if kept intact for the back. I think no matter what you choose, it's going to look stunning.

I'm the only one apparently, but the more I stare at the wood, I kind of like 2a for the soundboard and 1 for the back. I think those two spots would frame the sound hole to create visual interest and #1 would look awesome if kept intact for the back. I think no matter what you choose, it's going to look stunning.
Nope, not the only one. In fact both Eugene and I made that suggestion on the previous page.

My 2c

#2a for the sound board, becoz you can show the central grain off below sound hole.
#1 for the back, so the overall pattern will match the front.

I like 1 for the top....match binding to those stripes......back 2a....of course I live in Florida and it looks a little like a manatee.

I like 1 for the soundboard - the figure is more dramatic - and 2b for the back.
Oregonian ukulele players think alike. Plus one.

You really can't miss with any of the six possible combinations. You're going to have a beautiful baritone uke.

Oregonian ukulele players think alike. Plus one.

You really can't miss with any of the six possible combinations. You're going to have a beautiful baritone uke.
Another Oregonian for 1 for soundboard, 2b for back.

I'd save number 1 for the back and pick 2b for the front. 2b has some interesting curls and dark lines.

Top Bottom