PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted, please (wood sets for a Mya-Moe baritone ukulele)

mds725
11-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Aloha,

I'm currently working with Char at Mya-Moe on a myrtle baritone ukulele, and we're at the stage of selecting the wood sets. Here are the myrtle wood sets I'm currently considering:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29744&d=1320791069

2a. ................................................ 2b.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29745&d=1320791070 http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29654&d=1320470187

2a and 2b are the same pieces of wood, configured slightly differently -- The two grain markings that look like eyes in 2a are closer together and closer to the bottom in 2b, and the darker vertical stripe in the middle of 2a would be eliminated in 2b.

So, two questions:
1. Do you prefer 2a or 2b, and why?
2. Which of the three (1, 2a, or 2b) do you think would look best as the soundboard? By the way, the set that isn't used as the soundboard would be used as the back of the ukulele.

I know that the decision ultimately comes down to my own aesthetic preferences, but I'm really curious to hear your opinions. Mahalo for taking the time!

Mark

GinnyT11
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I like 1. It looks like the back of a really cool animal.

If you go for 2, I think 2B is better. You'd always be seeing a weird face in 2A.

mascompro
11-09-2011, 01:03 PM
1 for the soundboard, and 2b for the back I think 2b is just more interesting than 2a.

bluesuke
11-09-2011, 01:05 PM
#1 looks best to me. #2a ,#2b look like they have small pin knots in them. But I could be wrong . #1 for the sound board 2a for the back

Hippie Dribble
11-09-2011, 01:11 PM
1 back.
2a front.

jackwhale
11-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I'll bet there will be consensus on #1 as soundboard--very interesting figure-- and #2a for the back. Should make for a wonderful instrument. And since I live close to SF and love baritones, maybe I'll even get to play it at some time in the future. :)

AncientMatingCalls
11-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Id say save 1 for the back so it can remain unabated by the bridge and sound hole. Then I would choose 2a for the top.

It's going to be a beautiful uke in anycase.

bbycrts
11-09-2011, 01:16 PM
I like 1 for the soundboard - the figure is more dramatic - and 2b for the back.

SailingUke
11-09-2011, 01:19 PM
1 on the back and 2b on the front.
The front of the ukulele gets a little busier with the sound hole, bridge and fret board.
Char has a GREAT sense of what looks good, she is very artistic.
Make sure you consider her opinion.
As you said the ultimate decision is yours. The instrument is going to look awesome no matter what you decide.

Lori
11-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I like #1 for the soundboard, and 2a for the back. For me, 2b feels like the book matching is off center.

–Lori

mds725
11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I like #1 for the soundboard, and 2a for the back. For me, 2b feels like the book matching is off center.

–Lori

The bookmatching for 2b IS off center in the photo. Char created the look by overlapping the boards, but on a finished ukulele using that configuration she would trim the inner area on both sides of the wood set to center the bookmatching.

Thanks for all the input! Please keep your opinions coming!

gyosh
11-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm the only one apparently, but the more I stare at the wood, I kind of like 2a for the soundboard and 1 for the back. I think those two spots would frame the sound hole to create visual interest and #1 would look awesome if kept intact for the back. I think no matter what you choose, it's going to look stunning.

AncientMatingCalls
11-09-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm the only one apparently, but the more I stare at the wood, I kind of like 2a for the soundboard and 1 for the back. I think those two spots would frame the sound hole to create visual interest and #1 would look awesome if kept intact for the back. I think no matter what you choose, it's going to look stunning.Nope, not the only one. In fact both Eugene and I made that suggestion on the previous page.

foxfair
11-09-2011, 02:36 PM
My 2c

#2a for the sound board, becoz you can show the central grain off below sound hole.
#1 for the back, so the overall pattern will match the front.

PhilUSAFRet
11-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I like 1 for the top....match binding to those stripes......back 2a....of course I live in Florida and it looks a little like a manatee.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
11-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I like 1 for the soundboard - the figure is more dramatic - and 2b for the back.Oregonian ukulele players think alike. Plus one.

You really can't miss with any of the six possible combinations. You're going to have a beautiful baritone uke.

patfia
11-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Oregonian ukulele players think alike. Plus one.

You really can't miss with any of the six possible combinations. You're going to have a beautiful baritone uke.
Another Oregonian for 1 for soundboard, 2b for back.

Uke Republic
11-09-2011, 04:26 PM
DITTO! Ditto!
Oregonian ukulele players think alike. Plus one.

coriandre
11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I'd save number 1 for the back and pick 2b for the front. 2b has some interesting curls and dark lines.

mm stan
11-09-2011, 05:04 PM
love the 2a for the back...others may be too busy for my preference...

Lori
11-09-2011, 06:05 PM
The bookmatching for 2b IS off center in the photo. Char created the look by overlapping the boards, but on a finished ukulele using that configuration she would trim the inner area on both sides of the wood set to center the bookmatching.

Thanks for all the input! Please keep your opinions coming!
I see. It is hard for me to picture how that would be when the center is trimmed. I am overly sensitive to seeing a dividing line (unless there is a decorative stripe) between book matched halves. If they matched/ blended in the center, then it would be pretty even between 2a and 2b. It looks like you would lose the darker stripe (in the center) that 2a has if you went with 2b.
–Lori

mds725
11-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I see. It is hard for me to picture how that would be when the center is trimmed. I am overly sensitive to seeing a dividing line (unless there is a decorative stripe) between book matched halves. If they matched/ blended in the center, then it would be pretty even between 2a and 2b. It looks like you would lose the darker stripe (in the center) that 2a has if you went with 2b.
–Lori

Lori, I had the same issue with 2a. The darker line down the center seemed distracting to me. Char has said she can remove some of the center wood to either reduce or eliminate the dark stripe on the board with the "eyes." She also said that she thought the interesting aspects of the wood with the eyes might get a little lost when a soundhole, bridge, fretboard and strings are all added to the front.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses! Please feel free to give your opinion if you haven't yet.

Penguinofsorts
11-09-2011, 09:42 PM
2a soundboard, 1 back! But that's just how I would configure it.... I would like the 'eyes' above the hole and leave the cool stripes for the back ... Show it off!!

ADD
11-10-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm the only one apparently, but the more I stare at the wood, I kind of like 2a for the soundboard and 1 for the back. I think those two spots would frame the sound hole to create visual interest and #1 would look awesome if kept intact for the back. I think no matter what you choose, it's going to look stunning.

Totally agree with this assessment. Check the MM site for #268, my tenor, which although the wood is different (chocolate heart mango) and the spots are higher up above the soundhole, I think the effect would be similar. Also look at the back of the uke - the effect is more striking without a hole in the center. I absolutely adore this uke.

Which configuration would you choose if it were for your best friend? We frequently choose something that we like even when it is for someone else.

didgeridoo2
11-10-2011, 10:13 PM
1 back.
2a front.

This would be my choice too. No question.