Is this Restorabe?

FPK

Reaction score
Everything is restorable. The only issue is $$$. The only way to determine how much is for an experienced luthier to have the instrument in hand. Photos don't do it...

Aside from that horrible crack, that one doesn't look too far gone. The big issue becomes just how badly old repairs were done. Sometimes the previous repairs are a lot worse than the initial damage...

Last edited:
That uke probably needs to be almost completely taken apart and then reassembled. I'd have the back off and the top off in separate operations so the shape of the sides would hold. Glue, cleat, splice if need be, etc. Clean and French polish. Probably at least $500.00 worth of work. But then it's a musical instrument again, and one that's going on 100 years old.

I'd buy it and fix it myself.....If it was a lot cheaper......and in the UK...But at that price.. No Way!!

What Ken said!^^

I'm no expert, but I reckon the cost of repairs on that will far outweigh its worth when finished, so it could never be worth restoring if you are trying to make a profit. If however, you want to keep it yourself, because of what it is and you are prepared to spend some cash, then it may be worth a shot.

And that pretty much sums it up for me. If it was say $20 - $50 I might consider it and restore it my self in my spare time. But I simply don't think that it's ever going to be so valuable, or so great an instrument to warrant anything more than that. And you can't say it's for parts....what parts are you going to salvage from it?

I think people get excited when they see the "Nunes" on these old ukes - but it's not the original Nunes (I believe that was Manuel). Leonardo Nunes was, I think, Manuel's son and built ukes in FAR greater quantities than his father. Not to say they aren't really cool old instruments, because they are - but they're not relics from the dawn of the ukulele from one of the three originators (Santo, Nunes, Dias)...

If I was looking at a Leonardo that beat up I would want the price to be a lot lower. And I wouldn't be willing to pay anything near the money Rick's talking about to have a luthier restore it.

Guys, don't think that I'd buy that junker. It is beyond bad. Thanks for the info though, good to know if I ever find one at an Antique shop.

will

Top Bottom