Case for Gibson UB-1 Banjo Uke

Giuseppe

Reaction score
I recently purchase a 1920's Gibson UB-1 banjo uke. The instrument is in great shape. Unfotunately, the case is trashed.

Does anybody make good replacement cases or gig bags for these instruments?

A few local music stores and some on-line stores have a hard-shell Epiphone-branded mandolin case (For what I believe is a type A mandolin - the one without the Florentine curl) that looks like it will fit a banjo uke. Runs around $65.

I'm planning on bringing my Stella up to size one tomorrow. If the size is right, may get one for each of the banjo ukes.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Never mind - while it is a very nice case, it is way too big for a soprano scale banjo uke.

The head barely makes it over the neck support, and the body is 4-6" too wide. Didn't even check the depth.

It might work for a concert scale instrument with a resonator - maybe even a tenor scale. Worth checking out for either of those.

-Kurt​

Here's a link to Musician's Friend for the Epiphone mando case - it is available for less at other places, including Amazon.com.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/epiphone-ed20-mandolin-case/540968000000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26045657

I'll be bringing my Stella, and maybe the firefly to my local shop tomorrow to try it out. And perhaps a tape measure.

-Kurt​

It looks nice for 7" and 8" rim banjo-ukes, but I wouldn't recommend it for the 6" rim UB-1! It'll be bouncing around haha

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. :(

So far the only place I've found is The Ukulele Man. He offers cases for the UB-2, 3, 4, & 5 as stock items, but can custom fit the smaller UB-1.

Unfortunately, at today's exchange rate I'm looking at over $200.00. I wonder if I could get a local case maker to modify the inside of the Elderly case for me...

The Ukulele Man does make some really nice looking cases, though:

wpe1ed12df.jpg wp564e2cab.jpg

I tried several for my UB-2 which has an 8 inch head.
The UB-1 with a 6 inch may fit in a soprano case for a pineapple.
Another option may also be a square soprano case (Freemont) and some foam pads.
I found a nice "A" mando case and some foam.

I'd go with the one from Elderly, and just throw in some extra padding of your own!

Top Bottom