"Sweet Substitute"

H

Hippie Dribble

1939. Jelly Roll Morton.

another one inspired by drbekken. after listening to him tear up these old Jelly Roll Morton songs, I started looking for some of his early recordings. Found one in a record shoppe the other day...it's stuff all recorded over a couple of sessions by Alan Lomax, where he records solo, and with his 'hot 6' and 'hot 7'. These sessions took place December 1939 and January 1940, and were his last commercial recordings.

Amazing record though, sublime blues piano and the fuller arrangements with bass, percussion and brass are brilliant, and his voice is something else.

anyway, this afternoon I had a go at what is my favorite song from the record, 'Sweet Substitute', which doc did a few weeks back (one of my faves of his too...hence the mimicry :eek:). I like this clip because it's the first one yet that actually shows the grain of my mya moe sycamore concert .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ZBBNWd0OM

thanks for taking a look! :)

Great version, and a nice solo in the middle! Jelly Roll Morton was such a great songwriter, in addition to being a BRILLIANT pianist, bandleader, composer and arranger....and you're right; as a singer he surely is hard to beat!

As always great Jon. I've said it before and I will say it again. I love all your videos and so appreciate you sharing with us.

Awesome....really good job...loved it ....keep um coming Eugene...happy strummings...MM Stan

Another double header...I like this life when I feel uninspired- I bounce between you and the DOc and my head settles on playing a tune. Fantastic crack at this tune mate, and the little Mya that stayed behind is outrageous

Top Bottom