Is it worth the price?

My first uke was a Lu 11 and it was a great little first uke.

I spent the money for a solid wood, spruce top ukuele for my first purchase. I lurked around this forum enough to figure out that most people who bought a laminate quickly upgraded when they caught the bug. At the time, I was also thinking that if I didn't like playing (for whatever reason) I could sell a solid uke whereas I'd never seen a laminate for sale on the forum. The upside was the playability, the sound, and the look. The downside was when I knew I was hooked, I didn't have a "kick around" uke I could bring to the beach, parks etc. I've upgraded a little since then and I've only been playing since July (started lessons in August).

I guess I would pass along the advice given to me. Buy the best you can easily afford. But beware, UAS sets in FAST!

It's ok for a starter ukulele. But, yes, buy the best you can afford. The better the ukulele, the better it will sound and be easier to play. This will motivated you more and it will be easier to learn

can you recommend me on a site with low price for worldwide shipping?

Try UkeRepublic. I think he does worldwide shipping and he does set ups which is very important to get a proper set up. Don't worry to much about laminate vs wood if you can't or don't want to pay for wood for your first uke. Those laminates are fine ukes. However, if you have to pay high fees to get your uke, can't think of the word for it just now, maybe it is more cost effective to go with a more expensive solid wood. Also check out the used ukes on the forum marketplace and Flea Marketplace, you can get some good deals and many people will ship internationally.

I can also recommend Mim's Ukes. She sells ukes in all price ranges, and sets them up for you.
http://www.mimsukes.com/

The LU-11 is an excellent first uke especially if you're on a budget. It's what my grandkids get as they get old enough to show an interest in ukulele. They do often need a bit of setup (mostly just deepening the slots in the nut for better intonation and playability).

On the other hand, if you are an adult buying for yourself and you know you are going to stick with it then I advise getting the best instrument you can afford.

John

Top Bottom