PDA

View Full Version : Jake shimabukuro's ukulele

hybridnightmare
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I was wondering is his ukulele, the one he uses in alot o videos i think its a kamaka, is his ukulele custom made?

EleoCasil
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I was wondering is his ukulele, the one he uses in alot o videos i think its a kamaka, is his ukulele custom made?
Yes it is.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-06-2008, 09:53 PM
yes its custom made and you can't get another copy... LOL! i have already tried.

hybridnightmare
02-07-2008, 07:07 AM
haha it looks really nice. i was looking online for a kamaka like that.

rayan
02-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Jake is sponsored by Kamaka so he has a couple of custom ukes. He's also supposed to have a signature model that Kamaka was going to produce and sell to the general public. Don't know if they ever got around to making them.

dajoka
02-07-2008, 07:57 AM
i foget wen was, but i thought dat dey already wen make couple of em, an have one lottery fo who can buy um too.

NukeDOC
02-07-2008, 08:40 AM
just did a little research on this, and apparently there were only 100 of them made, and they all sold out in jan 2007. i doubt you'll be seeing one go up on ebay any time soon though.

tripl3thr33
02-07-2008, 08:58 AM
awww that would be such an awesome uke to have.... i dont even know if i would play it haha. just get jake's signature and put it in a glass case :P

Ukulele_Junkie
02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
haha that one is his baby, last time i went to his concert he had like a lackey carrying around his ukulele in this spiffy looking humidified case.

BruddahMark
02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Hope this helps. This was the Signature JS Model That Kamaka was offering at the 2006 NAMM Show. This is I believe, the first one and at the time I took this photo, I can remember no one was allowed to play it or handle it. In talking with Chris Kamaka thestory was they just finished spraying it the day before they left Hawaii for the NAMM show in Cal. Obviously it's not exact to Jake's custom(s) but was offered as a signature model. I think the Japanese market ordered most of them. I haven't seen one since that show.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/markouke/JAKESIGNATUREMODEL.jpg

[IMG]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/markouke/JAKESUKULELE.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/markouke/IMG_2649.jpg

Photo below is Jake finishing his performance at NAMM Show 2006 Acoustic Cafe. Enjoy...
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/markouke/NAMMShow2006007.jpg

G~Ukes
02-07-2008, 09:36 AM
you could buy a car with the money that that uke is worth

rayan
02-07-2008, 09:56 AM
http://a765.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/113/l_7dfd175ca43a18c5a80e16e28d58d21c.jpg

UKESTAR
02-07-2008, 10:01 AM
http://a765.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/113/l_7dfd175ca43a18c5a80e16e28d58d21c.jpg

Haha...Aldrine looks like he has found his match...

dajoka
02-07-2008, 10:08 AM
anybody know how much was, da ting?

Dominator
02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
It's hard to match up the figure in the wood but it looks like these are two different ukes??

Dominator
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
anybody know how much was, da ting?

I'm pretty sure they were going for around $5,000. There was a "lottery" of sorts held and 100 people were selected to get one of them. It seems to be a mystery as to whether any of them were really built or not (regardless of whether they ended up in Japan or not). Seems like one would show up in a Youtube video somewhere assuming someone purchased one to actually play as opposed to "collect".

NukeDOC
02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
awe man, if it was the same model as the one in the "while my guitar...." video, then i woulda been more disappointed that i didnt get one.

Fred Miu
02-07-2008, 11:45 AM
awe man, if it was the same model as the one in the "while my guitar...." video, then i woulda been more disappointed that i didnt get one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

nope. you can see where the machine head is, the design is different. none the less, ITS STILL JAKE'S UKE! haha

BruddahMark
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey Dom! Wassup? How you be? Mentioned to Aaron O at the NAMM show about my project. Says he's interested. Email me when you can.

Jake & Kaz are in town tonight he's playing at a relatively new venue downtown. Sound system is supposed to be one of the best in town from what I heard. Never been there but it looks pretty classy. shootz Can't wear my slippahs in, whaaat up wit dat?

NukeDOC
02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

nope. you can see where the machine head is, the design is different. none the less, ITS STILL JAKE'S UKE! haha

that video is the main reason why im always sportin a chubby for ukes with classical headstocks.

Fred Miu
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
thats the video that stared me off for playing the uke. and of course i started the month of my bday, which is in April!!!!

one day i will get a custom ukulele similar to jakes

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-07-2008, 05:46 PM
thats the video that stared me off for playing the uke. and of course i started the month of my bday, which is in April!!!!

one day i will get a custom ukulele similar to jakes
me to... i have a a few things on my "to buy" list

webcam.. i guess?
laptop
custom or semi-custom uke
new tennis racket.

anyway, i love the sound of aldrines kamaka and i asked him what he had done to it, but he coulsn't remember. Hey aldrine, how long you had your kamaka?

anyway, i like the tenor kamaka on kamakahawaii.com, but dont know what it sounds like... so simular to aldrines? etc..

but ill get it soon enough

hybridnightmare
02-07-2008, 06:02 PM
I really wanted a ukulele like his. man its so sexy.

GX9901
02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
It actually isn't too difficult to get a luthier to custom build a uke that looks very similar to Jake's. You can even get you own initials inlaid on the fretboard instead of Jake's intials. While it is still pretty expensive getting a custom built uke, it's much less than the $5500 cost for the Jake signature series.

That's how I've planned on satisfying my inner Jake.:D

Aldrine Guerrero
02-07-2008, 07:10 PM
It actually isn't too difficult to get a luthier to custom build a uke that looks very similar to Jake's. You can even get you own initials inlaid on the fretboard instead of Jake's intials. While it is still pretty expensive getting a custom built uke, it's much less than the $5500 cost for the Jake signature series.

That's how I've planned on satisfying my inner Jake.:D

What makes it that price is also the name behind the uke. Kamaka.

They have been making ukulele's even before our parents started making US hahahah. But anyway, their name is almost synonymous with the ukulele. So to get a custom Kamaka from them is quite an honor.

I played Jake's uke (the one with the slotted head) and also the signature series. Both are from handpicked wood. The curliest of curly koa. Like seriously... I didn't even know wood bended that way (to create the curl) also the inlays and the red lining is just stunning. You really get a quality uke for that price. The best part is, it'll just keep sounding better and better as it grows older.

Landon
02-07-2008, 07:28 PM
My Grandpa got the ukulele i play now custom made. it even has his name engraved in it.

This of course was in 1983, so i'd imagine that its harder to get a custom now then it was then.

as for the uke its the best ukulele i have ever played. It isn't in Mint condition but considering its age, other then a few dings, some small scrathes and old fretwood, its in good condition.

My uncle even said you can go to the Kamaka store and they fix it up for you. can anyone confirm if thats true?

ukejon
02-07-2008, 08:29 PM
So here is a sincere question, Aldrine: did you sound like Jake on those gorgeous ukes or did you sound like you? In other words, how much of his signature sound is the uke and how much comes from his magical hands?

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-08-2008, 10:05 AM
wow.. a uke that costs $5500!! i thought $1000 is expensive for a uke, but i guess i was wrong.. I want a semi-custom uke so badly that sounds good, i can tell the difference a lot when i hear other ukes and mine sounds the worst.

Howlie Boy
02-08-2008, 10:29 AM
My Grandpa got the ukulele i play now custom made. it even has his name engraved in it.

This of course was in 1983, so i'd imagine that its harder to get a custom now then it was then.

as for the uke its the best ukulele i have ever played. It isn't in Mint condition but considering its age, other then a few dings, some small scrathes and old fretwood, its in good condition.

My uncle even said you can go to the Kamaka store and they fix it up for you. can anyone confirm if thats true?

Its not that hard to get a custom ukulele. I cant remember the post ill try to find it and post it here but there is a place you can get an ukulele kit. You can make it yourself. Found them........

Links:
http://http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Uku...s.html#details
http://http://www.hanalimastore.com/servlet/Detail?no=93

.......Check these out, As for having one made for you i dont think its that hard, its just the money. anything custom now days is going to be pricy. A buddy of mine had a custom electric guitar made, and cant remember exactly what it cost but i think it was somewhere around 3 grand, this was including all electronics...
Hope those help ill try to find out more custom stuff.

Landon
02-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Its not that hard to get a custom ukulele.

my uke's are all Kamaka's. and as aldrine said, its hard to get a custom made Kamaka. the waiting list is so long that they had to stop allowing people to sign up for a custom.

rayan
02-08-2008, 08:52 PM
So here is a sincere question, Aldrine: did you sound like Jake on those gorgeous ukes or did you sound like you? In other words, how much of his signature sound is the uke and how much comes from his magical hands?

I played with Aldrine at the gig he borrowed Jake's uke. You could tell that it was Jake's ukulele from the sound. Though Jake can make anything sound good. He played my horrible $150 guitar and made it sing.

davoomac
02-09-2008, 06:15 AM
I played with Aldrine at the gig he borrowed Jake's uke. You could tell that it was Jake's ukulele from the sound. Though Jake can make anything sound good. He played my horrible $150 guitar and made it sing.

I've never seen Jake play a guitar. Is he just as good as on the ukulele too?

By the way when's the custom "aldrine" line of ukes coming out? hehe

nikolo727
02-09-2008, 05:54 PM
O yeah. Jake's Uke is nice but....the cost.....makes me want to cry...lol

its still amazing!!!!

I just want a uke with my initials on the fretboard :p

Jake is my Hero!!!!!!!!!

wearymicrobe
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Has anyone actually seen one of the JS signature models ever. I have been looking and no one has actually ever shown a picture other then the ones at NAMM. Several people who collect were looking to buy and not a single one was able to get a lottery slot that I heard of.

Kind of strange, plus they are not even taking custom orders that I am aware of now, how did they find the time to build 100 JS sig in secrete.

If you like the open headstock call up ko'olau or kanile'a and order a custom, hopefully mine will be here by the time the 29th rolls around and I can bring it out and let people have a go at it.

Personally, and only my opinion, there are better ukes then the kamaka's in the world and they are going a lot cheaper then 5k. 2-3K gets you the best of everything and then it just goes up based on ascetics and inlays.

heck there was a walnut k4 kanile'a on ebay for something ridiculously low like 1850-2K$ last weel.

UKESTAR
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Has anyone actually seen one of the JS signature models ever. I have been looking and no one has actually ever shown a picture other then the ones at NAMM. Several people who collect were looking to buy and not a single one was able to get a lottery slot that I heard of.

Kind of strange, plus they are not even taking custom orders that I am aware of now, how did they find the time to build 100 JS sig in secrete.

If you like the open headstock call up ko'olau or kanile'a and order a custom, hopefully mine will be here by the time the 29th rolls around and I can bring it out and let people have a go at it.

Personally, and only my opinion, there are better ukes then the kamaka's in the world and they are going a lot cheaper then 5k. 2-3K gets you the best of everything and then it just goes up based on ascetics and inlays.

heck there was a walnut k4 kanile'a on ebay for something ridiculously low like 1850-2K$ last weel.

Yeh...I am getting the feeling that there really were not 100 of them made. Maybe none even. Aldrine knows Jake pretty well it seems...he should just ask Jake what happened.........if anything at all:rolleyes:

Landon
02-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Personally, and only my opinion, there are better ukes then the kamaka's in the world

i disagree.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
i agree with you disagreeing

the uke that cost like $5500.. would it sound exactly the same as Jakes ukulele?? Then if i thought i was good enough if a few years time for me to buy it i would buy it for sure. Anybody got any pics of the uke? or how it sounds?

NukeDOC
02-12-2008, 09:36 PM
IMO, the best uke in the world is the one that you personally love the most. and it doesnt necessarily refer to what it sounds like.

it could be a $50 soprano that you got as a hand-me-down from your beloved grand parents and have all the sentimental value in the world.

it could be a $350 kala ukulele that you customized to your aesthetic specifications.

it could be a $5000 ukulele that you had custom built especially for you with all the personalization you could think of, and not even sound that great.

or it could be the ukulele that you finally picked after testing out hundreds of them at the stores and flea market based purely on its particular tone.

you could have a great ukulele that 99% of the people that have played it say it is the greatest sounding uke ever. but then that one guy... that 1%... comes along and says "i dont like how it sounds... its just not my thing". does that mean its not that great? does that mean its the best? answer to both: absolutely not.

and for the record, im sure i could give jake or aldrine my walmart uke and they would MAKE it sound like the best thing ever. yeah, it all comes down to the individual. "the best" or "better than" is purely subjective, so there is no right or wrong.

Ukulele_Junkie
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
IMO, the best uke in the world is the one that you personally love the most. and it doesnt necessarily refer to what it sounds like.

it could be a $50 soprano that you got as a hand-me-down from your beloved grand parents and have all the sentimental value in the world.

it could be a $350 kala ukulele that you customized to your aesthetic specifications.

it could be a $5000 ukulele that you had custom built especially for you with all the personalization you could think of, and not even sound that great.

or it could be the ukulele that you finally picked after testing out hundreds of them at the stores and flea market based purely on its particular tone.

you could have a great ukulele that 99% of the people that have played it say it is the greatest sounding uke ever. but then that one guy... that 1%... comes along and says "i dont like how it sounds... its just not my thing". does that mean its not that great? does that mean its the best? answer to both: absolutely not.

and for the record, im sure i could give jake or aldrine my walmart uke and they would MAKE it sound like the best thing ever. yeah, it all comes down to the individual. "the best" or "better than" is purely subjective, so there is no right or wrong.

Good insight i totally agree with you on that, being on the forum talking about jake shimabukuro's ukulele is great, but saying that its the best in the world is kind of an overstatement, the best uke in the world is of sentimental value, and I know you have a lot of attachment to your uke cuz of all the customization you put into it.

jus cuz jake and aldrine both play kamaka's and they always sound so awesome doesnt mean they cant pick up a 200 dollar kala or lanikai and make the thing sing like how they would on their kamakas.

Aldrine Guerrero
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Good insight i totally agree with you on that, being on the forum talking about jake shimabukuro's ukulele is great, but saying that its the best in the world is kind of an overstatement, the best uke in the world is of sentimental value, and I know you have a lot of attachment to your uke cuz of all the customization you put into it.

jus cuz jake and aldrine both play kamaka's and they always sound so awesome doesnt mean they cant pick up a 200 dollar kala or lanikai and make the thing sing like how they would on their kamakas.

Very true my friend. Just listen to the Kala soprano that we have for the giveaway. It sounds sweet.

Personal preference plays a lot in "the best ukulele" so "the best" doesn't really exist. A "personal" best, however, does.

Aldrine Guerrero
02-12-2008, 11:36 PM

One quote that I really love is:

"An artist can paint a masterpiece with any paintbrush"

Of course they were talking about tennis rackets when saying that but I think it can be applied to ukulele as well hahaha.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-12-2008, 11:41 PM
hmm i just want a good uke that sounds good :(

but im so crap.. i need about 500hours practise to play "im yours" correct.

pakiboy949
02-13-2008, 12:27 AM
unfortunately, i play a $50 costco ukulele and went to a "hole-in-the-wall" music shop recently, and noticed that with my play style i played a kala uke and it sounded heavenly compared to the uke i play now.

Not everybody could make my p.o.s. uke sound heavenly it just happens to be the fact that jake and aldrine are literally MASTERS of the uke so of course they could do so.

I personally believe, unless you are a true master of ukes, the type of ukulele you're going to be playing will make a big difference. I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with this statement too.

P.S. I'm drunk :D

NukeDOC
02-13-2008, 07:32 AM
the type of ukulele you're going to be playing will make a big difference. I'm sure a lot of you will disagree with this statement too.
actually i totally agree with this statement. a better instrument CAN make a big difference in how well you play and how well you sound. but the terms "best" or "better" are too broad, yet too personal at the same time.

to somewhat add to aldrine's statement... theres no such thing as "the best" but there is such thing as a "personal favorite"

out of the 4 main ukes that i own:
$160 leolani zebrawood tenor
$170 lanikai sprucetop tenor
$325 kala koa tenor
$425 pono mahogany tenor

if i would have to choose a "best", it would be the leolani. yeah the cheapest one.
*my first uke
*zebrawood is so pretty (hahaha)
*tone sounds the best to my ears
*been through a lot with her (dropped the case on her, fell out of the case, etc etc)
*jake shimabukuro's autograph

the other ukes are great and all have their purpose. but everytime i pick up my leolani, its a different feeling. yeah, to me, that is the best ukulele in the world. and i would never sell her.

rayan
02-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Very true my friend. Just listen to the Kala soprano that we have for the giveaway. It sounds sweet.

Personal preference plays a lot in "the best ukulele" so "the best" doesn't really exist. A "personal" best, however, does.

lol Aldrine,

humble--

wearymicrobe
02-13-2008, 11:45 AM
i disagree.

Thats what makes all of us unique if we all liked the same thing it be pretty boring.

My personal opinion on where things stand of the makes that I have owned, or played alot, modern makers only.

Best on down.

Ko'olau
Howlett Best Value say sub 2.5K
Kanile'a These break in wonderful, I prefer the old bracing
"Moore" Betta
Ogata Amazing strumming instrument, long break in time.
Kamaka
Pono Not nearly as good as the Ko'olau but amazing for the price.
Flea The only uke I take to the beach with me.

I want to get my hands on a Iwamoto, a Ana'ole, and a Bear setup correctly in a common wood before I really place anybody in my head.

As for the kamak'a I have never played a custom only the off the shelf stuff and was not impressed. Does not mean that the high cost ones are leaps better then the standards, but the tone is odd to my ear's. Could be the strings that they use but not exactly sure what it is.

JTY
02-13-2008, 04:47 PM
microbe, I'm with ya in that if we all agreed on the same things, this would be a boring forum. I agree, any GOOD Luthier would probably be able to duplicate an uke.. or come somewhat close if thats what the end goals are. like anything good things dont come cheap.. ( I want a Dasilva Santo reproduction.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaHsQrrbBQ :D )

Having said that. I've seen and held a Kamaka Custom tenor that the customer waited 1.5 year for.. paid over 1800 bucks, and I hate to say it, but I was not impressed.. at least visually.. the finish was like orangepeel, some curl in the Koa, no binding. A good player, but 1800 bucks? OTOH, I once held another Kamaka "custom" tenor that was just FABULOUS..! a work of art no doubt, and feel and tone that was just sooo sweet.;)

Ukulele_Junkie
02-13-2008, 04:55 PM
microbe, I'm with ya in that if we all agreed on the same things, this would be a boring forum. I agree, any GOOD Luthier would probably be able to duplicate an uke.. or come somewhat close if thats what the end goals are. like anything good things dont come cheap.. ( I want a Dasilva Santo reproduction.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaHsQrrbBQ :D )

Having said that. I've seen and held a Kamaka Custom tenor that the customer waited 1.5 year for.. paid over 1800 bucks, and I hate to say it, but I was not impressed.. at least visually.. the finish was like orangepeel, some curl in the Koa, no binding. A good player, but 1800 bucks? OTOH, I once held another Kamaka "custom" tenor that was just FABULOUS..! a work of art no doubt, and feel and tone that was just sooo sweet.;)

Those Da Silva ukes sound pretty nice, i checked more youtube vids they are really rich in sound.

UKESTAR
02-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Thats what makes all of us unique if we all liked the same thing it be pretty boring.

My personal opinion on where things stand of the makes that I have owned, or played alot, modern makers only.

Best on down.

Ko'olau
Howlett Best Value say sub 2.5K
Kanile'a These break in wonderful, I prefer the old bracing
"Moore" Betta
Ogata Amazing strumming instrument, long break in time.
Kamaka
Pono Not nearly as good as the Ko'olau but amazing for the price.
Flea The only uke I take to the beach with me.

I want to get my hands on a Iwamoto, a Ana'ole, and a Bear setup correctly in a common wood before I really place anybody in my head.

As for the kamak'a I have never played a custom only the off the shelf stuff and was not impressed. Does not mean that the high cost ones are leaps better then the standards, but the tone is odd to my ear's. Could be the strings that they use but not exactly sure what it is.

You forgot Koaloha man.....give them some love too...ha.

Aldrine Guerrero
02-13-2008, 11:41 PM
lol Aldrine,

humble--

That was an attempt at advertising the giveaway hahaha. It totally came off as arrogance though hahaha.

wearymicrobe
02-14-2008, 05:07 AM
You forgot Koaloha man.....give them some love too...ha.

I will not play a Koaloha for anything. :eek: Just not my style

I do need to put some sound samples up of the ones that I currently still have ion hand.

I am getting a ko'olau C1 tomorrow for some breakin test's to see if my little ukulele torture chamber works for breaking in ukuleles faster then I can from just playing them for say 100 hours or so. I want to be able to get the best sound out of some of my own without the massive hours and damage to the finish so if and when I decide that I should start to sell them they end up perfect out of the box.

Should be interesting experiment, a hard to quantify experiment but one all the same.

UKESTAR
02-14-2008, 08:29 AM
I will not play a Koaloha for anything. :eek: Just not my style

I do need to put some sound samples up of the ones that I currently still have ion hand.

I am getting a ko'olau C1 tomorrow for some breakin test's to see if my little ukulele torture chamber works for breaking in ukuleles faster then I can from just playing them for say 100 hours or so. I want to be able to get the best sound out of some of my own without the massive hours and damage to the finish so if and when I decide that I should start to sell them they end up perfect out of the box.

Should be interesting experiment, a hard to quantify experiment but one all the same.

What is your issue with Koaloha? Maybe there is something I don't know? I did a ton of research and they seem like they are always at the top of the list. UU also has them listed a "premium ukes". Many great performers use them also.

Landon
02-14-2008, 04:39 PM

hmmmm

I have 4 Kamaka's. I learned on one and thats why im so picky/biased when it comes to bothh brand/sound.

2 were custom made, not for me though, one was my Grandpa's and the other my cousin gave me when he moved to seattle. (My cousin was into uke when i was a little kid and could play a lot of jakes songs, but by the time i learned he had long quit). The uke he gave me is a 6 string, and is by far the best sounding 6 string i have ever played.

My uncle (best friends dad) who is a full on "moke" but at the same time is a really smart guy said that the 4 string from my grandpa sounded so nice was because it was old, and the older it gets the better it sounds. not sure on that theory but i wouldn't second guess him. He owns 8 or so uke's. he has 4 kids so they aint all his. about 4 are Tengi's i think, the one's with 2 hole's. he has a couple 6 strings and one 8 string kamaka. i'd say half of his are low g too including the 8 string.

so with all the things you guys say about personnel preferance, i agree to and extant. yes your personnel preferance will influence your "personnel best", but i think in general there IS a best. Kamaka is the Nike of Ukulele. Nike is the best brand in sports and sponsor the best players. The BEST ukulele player in the world is sponsored by Kamaka. that say's something all in itself.

i wish i had a camera so i could post pic's/video's. then you would see why i love these uke's/brand so much.

davoomac
02-14-2008, 05:26 PM
hmmmm

I have 4 Kamaka's.

crap... 4 kamakas!

Landon
02-14-2008, 05:29 PM
and i never spent a penny lol

and im still expecting a Sunny D.

i guess i have the uncanny ability to attract free ukulele's lol

davoomac
02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
and i never spent a penny lol

and im still expecting a Sunny D.

i guess i have the uncanny ability to attract free ukulele's lol

totally uncool lol

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-14-2008, 06:13 PM
crap... 4 kamakas!

Lmao i agree with you there, 4 kamakas!! im struggling to buy just one!
... has anybody seen the one thats on the markey?? the $5500 one?? i wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that, or atleast the type so i can try and find the pic

sweet, chur chur

Landon
02-14-2008, 06:33 PM
totally uncool lol

haha 4 kamaka's no camera. lol. one with a pick-up...no amp sick the life. and i can't even sell one.

One was a birthday gift, 2 was custom made/have sentamental[sp] value, and one is technically my dad's. i say technically because he don't really play unless i ask him too, and my dad is more of a friend then a father, he'll let me do whatever i want with it except sell/let someone borrow it.

NukeDOC
02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
hahaha ive never owned a pair of nikes that i used for their intended purpose (running) that ever lasted me over a year and a half. ive been using the same reeboks for about 5 years now, and the one of the soles is just now barely starting to come apart.

i once owned a pair of nike air max running shoes. they were the flagship running shoe of the time. lasted me a year before the airsole lost its pressure and the rubber sole started coming apart from the rest of the shoe. i complained to nike and sent them in. i got a new pair of air max running shoes. the new version at the time. so it was an upgrade. those lasted me less than a year. i stuck with it though. kept buying nike because it was what i was used to. same crap everytime.

so yeah, nike may have the biggest name in sports equipment... but i honestly think, other than fashion, theyre crap. but thats just my opinion. hahaha so i still say theres not real foundation for anything to be called "the best".

Landon
02-14-2008, 08:19 PM
i wouldn't say crap. i dont know which shoes you buy but they have different types of shoes. the ones for fashion which i don't think are very fashionable (i perfer slippers) and then there are the running shoes. great comfort, light weight, and very durable. i train almost everyday, play basketball 4 or 5 times a week and only buy new shoes.

and when i say nike, i didn't mean just shoes, i meant the entire company in general. its hands down the best for equipment. the greatest athletes in the world are sponsored by them etc. etc. etc. of course other company's like adidas or rebok's might have some equipment that are just as good and even better then nike's but as a whole nike is the better brand.

which is what im saying about Kamaka's compared to other ukulele's. Not every single Kamaka ukulele is better then every other brands uke's. i personally really like the applause, mostly because of the looks! but when it comes down to it, kamaka is the nike of ukulele's. thats my unbiased opinion. and im sure you, me and everyone else on this forum would trade there favorite ukulele for Jake's. no doubt about that.

grappler
02-15-2008, 12:01 AM
spot on!!
But its a ukulele that was made and created to his needs.
bet you my bottom dollar that i give him my shitty Mahalo tenor, and he would rip it aswell as he would on his kamaka..
What a talented guy *sighs* :rolleyes:

raykong@sbcglobal.net
03-13-2008, 08:00 PM
i was one of the winners of the jake signature uke's

the estimate was that it would take up to three years to make the 100.

I won in January and haven't received word yet when mine would be ready.

You were to be assigned a secret number and you would be given the ukulele once your number came up.

I havent seen any show up, but my guess is that not too many have been completed. Maybe a third? maybe just a quarter?

the cost $5500 and will be signed by Jake

ive been looking for a picture of it for a while. I saw one a while ago, but can't find the link again. Looked pretty sweet.

grappler
03-14-2008, 12:53 AM
I met jake 2 days ago at his concert.
Wonderful person! such a talented person!! He signed my ukulele and took a photo with me. Spoke to me for awhile as well!!

davoomac
03-14-2008, 02:30 AM
Wonderful person! such a talented person!! He signed my ukulele and took a photo with me. Spoke to me for awhile as well!!

Wow grappler that is so cool! Jake is going to be here on guam pretty soon and I hope to see him too. The shows are expensive though:(

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-14-2008, 02:31 AM

He was at the opera house, and i was at "the highest point of australia" fogot the mountain name :)

I wish i went to his performace, i wanted to meet him. Im assumming he won't be back in Sydney any time soon. I can't get over it!!!!!

Stupid geography excursion...

grappler
03-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Yeah I'm pretty star struck still! i cant believe how nice he was!!
And he's TINY!!!!!
hehe!!
I mentioned UU! so if you guys meet him and mention ukulele underground, he will defiantly be surprised... considering I'm all the way from Australia woooaahhh

grappler
03-14-2008, 03:25 AM
Oh plus, the show was only $25AUD
cheap cheap!@@

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
next time he comes to Australia, somebody tell me like 10months before he actually comes. Im so pissed off!!!! 3 days later and still annoyed

grappler
03-15-2008, 08:13 PM
i thought u knew abt it?? dont worry my friend, ill tell u

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-15-2008, 08:16 PM
When i found out, it was on the same day i was going to the highest point of australia. It suckkkkkkkkkkkks so bad OMG!!

yeh, fill us in ^^

dakine2009
03-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Jake is sponsored by Kamaka so he has a couple of custom ukes. He's also supposed to have a signature model that Kamaka was going to produce and sell to the general public. Don't know if they ever got around to making them.

i think they did make it, but it's crazy expensive...if you're willing to dish out a few grand then go for it.
=D

rclifford13
03-13-2009, 02:43 AM
hey ukulelesreggae, the highest point of australia is mt koszciusko. I've been to the top too!
Does anyone know what strings Jake uses?

Kanaka916
03-13-2009, 05:21 AM
D'Addario Pro Arte, pretty sure it's the EJ46.

rclifford13
03-16-2009, 12:34 AM
I just bought a set of D'Addario Pro Arte J71 Tenor strings off eBay and it mentions him in the description. So they are probably the ones. EJ46's are classical guitar strings.

Kanaka916
03-16-2009, 04:54 AM
The J71 strings came from the Pro Arte Classical String Set and as far as what strings Jake uses, here's a quote from Ryan from a previous post. I read somewhere that he used the J46 set . . .

Both Jake and Aldrine use D'addario strings, but they're not the readily available uke string sets that most dealers sell.

upskydowncloud
03-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I just bought a set of D'Addario Pro Arte J71 Tenor strings off eBay and it mentions him in the description. So they are probably the ones. EJ46's are classical guitar strings.

As far as I'm aware Jake used D'Addario's classical guitar strings originally, once he used them D'Addario decided to produce them as a specific set of uke strings. I think...

Pippin
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM

Yep, they did.