Little rainy day Western Swing

TCK

Reaction score
Too cold to work in the bones lab, so I got out my uke and learned a tune I didn't think I knew. As luck would have it, sometimes noodling yields old chords making new tunes.
"Won't You Ride In my Little Red Wagon"
Rex Griffin-1948
I learned it from Hank Penny off an old Western Swing record

You just made my day, Dave, hadn't heard that one in awhile..... diggin the kazoo and the old school sound, man.... I'd heard Willie's cover of this growing up - and Hank Thompson's, too - but I'll have to go out and give the Hank Penny version a spin since it conveniently came up as a 'recommended video'.....

Loved that old time song...it's swinging..where do you guys find these oldies..oh oh you got a Kazoo too...oh my...thanks for sharing...happy Strummings..

geez that's a nice clip Dave...voice sounding so authentic (just getting better and better), kazoo puts the cream on the cake...just love the whole vibe brother. Awesome.

Tip of the hat folks- thanks for tuning in :)
SKiddo- going to have to get the Penny- I can send it. It was kind of his theme song, but "Crazy Rhythm" Makes a lot of great Hank Penny crackers available on CD. It is highly recommended ;) Glad you liked it.
Stan- I got drawers full of this stuff- ever want a Western Swing shot let me know, I will happily oblige ya.
Thanks for the props Jon- me and that Kazoo are going places! Thanks for the compliment mate

Love it Dave.. great tune, great playing, The kazoo was perfect and I love that old time sepia feel to it.. Excellent stuff!

Great Dave, You are getting better all the time. So what you listen to an old song and figure out the chords for yourself? Is that how all of you get these great old songs? Impressive. I am listing to that kazoo as I chair dance and type.

Thanks all again for the kind words.
You know Rox- it's funny you ask. I have whistled everywhere I go, all my life (probably annoying but at least you know I am coming). While I will never be particularly proficient at an instrument, I did find out relatively early that I could play just about any melody I could whistle on my accordion. My first tune on it was "San Antonio Rose" a song my dad played daily while I was growing up- took me about five minutes to transfer it to the accordion because it was so locked in my head.
Because I understand and can see the spacial relationship between notes and chords more easily on the squeeze box- I play it there first, and then roll over to the Uke. I figure someday I will see the notes on the uke too, but I am not there yet. I am getting there because I keep an Ukulele right next to my computer, where I listen to music the most.
No where near as good as Jon who does the same thing I figure, and well, my dad can do it on any stringed instrument regardless of it's tuning- which is nauseating ;). He has never been able to stand the Ukulele, and we figured out that it is the slightest intonation issues on many of them that drive him batty (course, he plays fret less instruments with a slide and has trained his ear to hear the slightest deviance in intonation).

Top Bottom