PDA

View Full Version : Kamaka Concert (HF-2) Gold Label Tiki model (1969)

basilhenriques
11-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Kamaka Concert (HF-2) Gold Label Tiki Concert model (1969)
OFFERS ! by E-Mail to basil@waikiki-islanders.com

Mahalo nui, thank you so much for looking. The pictures (Albeit badly taken) of the body etc. The good lady wife's camera is Koʻo kapu for me. So notwithstanding the poor quality here are a few of those bad pictures I'm forced to accept. Of note is the fact that the internal label is GOLD.

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/idol.jpg

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Kamaka%20Concert/IMG_0378.jpg

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Kamaka%20Concert/IMG_0379.jpg

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Kamaka%20Concert/IMG_0371.jpg

There isn't any date information on the neck block or elsewhere, but yes I am selling it. As for it's provenance... It was bought in Hawaii (I know not when) by my dear friend Ron Whittaker, who's dying breath was to instruct his family to get me to value and dispose of his instruments, record and music collection and his magic props. He was my mentor into the "Magic Circle" of the Mercian Mystics. An avid fan of my band he often visited us when we were resident at the "Castaways" night club. Like Pat and myself, Ron was good friends with the Moe family and visited them in Hawaii.

My task is to get the best possible HOME for his instruments and see that they are in good and caring hands, with this in mind I do NOT propose to place any of them on E-Bay or the likes.
Ron's story can be seen HERE (http://www.thebritishsteeliessociety.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1859&p=6927)

With regard to the Kamaka Concert Ukulele, I will entertain reasonable offers and would be delighted to see it 'Go Home' and be loved and played.

Also in my possession are 5 mint condition circulated copies of "The Hawaiian Ukulele" the 50th State Royal Hawaiian Complete Modern Method (D & C Tunings)
by Kealoha Life.
ISBN 0 9506816 1 X
ASIN: 095068161X
EAN: 9780950681610
Published by Ron Whitaker..

One of these is already reserved to whomsoever buys the Kamaka.

This post and it's content will continue to honour my dear friend Ron...
Ka mālamalama o ke Akua e ho`opuni mai iā kākou

Ke aloha o ke Akua e kīpuni mai iā kākou

Ka mana o ke Akua e ho`opakele mai iā kākou

e alo o ke Akua e mālama mai iā kākou

Ma kahi ā kākou, e hele aku ai he Akua nō
Amene

basilhenriques
11-11-2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Kamaka%20Concert/IMG_0376.jpg

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Kamaka%20Concert/IMG_0346.jpg

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Kamaka%20Concert/IMG_0370.jpg

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/Kamaka%20Concert/IMG_0376.jpg

mm stan
11-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Aloha Basil,
I am intrested in your kamaka...I would cherish it and give it all the love...and it would be coming home to hawaii... yes it will be loved and played..PM me asap... MM Stan

foxfair
11-11-2011, 02:18 PM
thank you Stan!
I was almost thinking about sending PM myself, even though my new HF-2 is right besides me now :)

SuzukHammer
11-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I sent her an email as requested for the offer or my post and pm woulda been first.

oh, the tension. I read this and got to my email site ASAP and hopefully typed clear enough for her to read. haha

Markr1
11-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Good luck Stan. I'm hoping for you.

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 02:30 PM
ooohhhh....I feel like I'm watching a live auction.....where's that doggone popcorn.... :drool:

all is falling nicely into place...now, you buy it Stan and then sell it on to me....perfect

SuzukHammer
11-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Stop rooting for Stan everybody!!! I want to buy this to ultimately gift this to my 3 month old baby.

I can send a puppy to Stan if I win.

Markr1
11-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Sorry Suzuk but gotta root for my buddy!!

SuzukHammer
11-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Sorry Suzuk but gotta root for my buddy!!

I can be your buddy too.

How are things? Its good to hear from you. How's the weather??

ok, I 've been hawking my email account for the last 20 minutes waiting a reply. I gotta go eat breakfast and try to calm down. haha.

this is fun.

Markr1
11-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Ha ha yeah we are all trying to slow our breathing down waiting for the outcome of this one.

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 02:53 PM
basil? basil? Did you not get my NUMEROUS pm's and emails my dear friend of friends??? he he

mm stan
11-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Stop rooting for Stan everybody!!! I want to buy this to ultimately gift this to my 3 month old baby.

I can send a puppy to Stan if I win.
Aloha Frank,
Don't say that it's going to a 3 month baby..or you won't get it..ha ha... the story is daddy wants it ...didn't you just buy a collins ukulele just a day ago????:):)
Sorry puppy consolations don't work for me....ha ha send me the collins uke then....tee hee hee

Markr1
11-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't dare get in the middle of this dogfight Eugene. I'd be afraid they would come all the way to Kentucky and beat me down

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 03:07 PM
It's OK brother Mark...plane flights to Tasmania at the arse end of the world very expensive. I feel very safe here!!!! Just stirring the pot mate ....hehe. It's a good one though because both Stan and Frank know exactly what they like as they have a keen eye for both beautiful ukes and good investments

oooh....time for more popcorn!!!!! :drool:

Dan Uke
11-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Where's the price?? I thought no auction on this site? This is not ebay!!

philpot
11-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Dannnnnng... So beautiful... This oughta be interesting :P

Markr1
11-11-2011, 03:36 PM
It's OK brother Mark...plane flights to Tasmania at the arse end of the world very expensive. I feel very safe here!!!! Just stirring the pot mate ....hehe. It's a good one though because both Stan and Frank know exactly what they like as they have a keen eye for both beautiful ukes and good investments

oooh....time for more popcorn!!!!! :drool:
I'll have some of that popcorn Eugene. Still anxiously awaiting the outcome of this one.

Markr1
11-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Where's the price?? I thought no auction on this site? This is not ebay!!
Your right Daniel I forgot about the price thing.

basilhenriques
11-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Hey don't wanna get the thread closed.. it's definitely NOT an auction, just looking for reasonable remuneration and a good home for an Hawaiian Exile.. I'll take on board all suggestions (Presuming they are humanly possible) and consider the best route to take. I would prefer the Uke to return to its homeland and be reunited with what I presume is a temperate climate.. Although with the global warming, the United Kingdom will soon rival France for grapes and wine production..

mm stan
11-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey Eugene, you got some popcorn...I ran out..hee hee

Dan Uke
11-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Reasable remuneration is achieved when you say I want this price and see if someone is willing to give it to you. An auction is asking people to give a price. Whether it is a closed or open format, it's still an auction.

I'm sure there are people interested in buying it like me but don't feel comfortable pming unless we know we can buy it.

basilhenriques
11-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Time in the UK is now 03:01 Time to sleep on it and consider, I REALLY will consider Stan and any other offer. Rest assured this Ukulele WILL go to a good home and Ron's widow WILL get a reasonable price for it. As executor I am honour bound to fulfil Ron's wishes.
This won't be the Ukulele you can say you got for a "Song" neither will it be overpriced, just fairly priced.. There IS a contingency plan however..!!
Goodnight, I'll check in here later today UK time..

BTW Who ate all the popcorn, it's nowhere to be seen.

Kanaka916
11-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey don't wanna get the thread closed.. it's definitely NOT an auction, just looking for reasonable remuneration and a good home for an Hawaiian Exile.. I'll take on board all suggestions (Presuming they are humanly possible) and consider the best route to take. I would prefer the Uke to return to its homeland and be reunited with what I presume is a temperate climate.. Although with the global warming, the United Kingdom will soon rival France for grapes and wine production..
With all due respect, a price needs to be posted. I believe Stan provided a pricepoint for this instrument. You need to decide on a cost and from what I've read so far, you've gotten some PM's. If you come to terms with one of them, that's fine and we can close the thread. A selling price needs to be posted along with info on S&H and insurance. For example $1200 OBO $40 S&H + Insurance.

basilhenriques
11-11-2011, 04:10 PM
With all due respect ?, if you check back on other threads you'll find that until 3-4 HOURS ago I had no idea even what it was let alone what it's current value is. So PLEASE cut me some slack and let me post an asking price later today. or is it I'm person non grata as the "With all due respect" would seem to imply, at least it does in UK English ?

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 04:12 PM
It's Ok folks...popcorn is ready and waiting for when bas gets up in the morning.....no one will go hungry :)

mm stan
11-11-2011, 04:14 PM
woo hoo you got the butter too..Eugene.....

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 04:21 PM
woo hoo you got the butter too..Eugene.....

butter. check. :drool: salt. check. :drool: bad jokes. check. :uhoh: anything I forgot Bruddah?

oh, and basil, I don't believe Kanaka was being disingenuous or disrespectful in his previous post. Danny was just wanting to make you aware of the rules that need to be followed before posting in the marketplace. He's a moderator and just doing his job is all.

There are several people who really want to buy this ukulele. It's good that we've all had fun on this thread but this doesn't always happen... The reason for a price listing is to prevent the whole scene degenerating into an ebay type sniping auction which may create bad blood between members. Blessings mate,
jon

Markr1
11-11-2011, 04:35 PM
It's Ok folks...popcorn is ready and waiting for when bas gets up in the morning.....no one will go hungry :)
The popcorn will be stale by morning Eugene but the uke won't. Lol.

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 04:37 PM
aaaah...he he..yeah Mark, good point mate!!! It's cool though, I got me another bag of kernels waiting in the cupboard... :)
The popcorn will be stale by morning Eugene but the uke won't. Lol.

basilhenriques
11-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Apologies for not reading the forum selling rules. I got here via a link that bypassed that section.

Methinks the "Spirit of Aloha" just flew away.. "with all due respect" implies none..:mad:

I got to this section via a search engine, after reading the post the search engine found, I was prompted to make a sales post myself. The proviso regarding the modus operandi of the particular forum section that's a 'Sticky', was not obvious to me and in fairness is nowhere near prominent enough.. Lambasting me for forum formatting shortcomings is NOT the way to go IMHO. FWIW.
Basil Henriques
ESGHoF (http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/ESGHoF/laureates%202009.html)

SuzukHammer
11-11-2011, 04:55 PM
I am still interested. I had a long breakfast and have enjoyed reading this thread.

Please understand that mother Earth is the homeland. If only Hawaii was to be sold to, then you would not see the wonderful enthusiasm that the uke brings to people in my travels.

Please, I beg you. Hawaii is not the only place which holds reverence to the ukulele.

And Stan is being sneaky. haha. He says I have a Collings and other ukes. true. true. I love me some ukes. but I'll be the pot calling the kettle on this. haha

Please please consider my offer made to you via email as requested and realize Stan likely wouldn't have emailed you hadn't I stated I sent my email. hehe.

oh man , I need me some buttered salty popcorn myself.

Puppy is all packed ready to ship to Hawaii.

basilhenriques
11-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I really MUST get to sleep, as for Hawaii, we stole it and then gave it back, November 13th, 1836 (Lord E. Russell's Treaty) ? .. To us over here Hawaii is still the Sandwich Isles..

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/images/fl-old-a.gif
Basil (not the fawlty one) (http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/apology3.wav)

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 05:05 PM
lovely way to end proceedings for this evening Basil. :) check the link everyone...I remember that episode well he he
(not the fawlty one) (http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/assets/apology3.wav)

peewee
11-11-2011, 05:09 PM
[B] "with all due respect" implies none..:mad:

I always thought "with all due respect" was a way to civilly but firmly disagree. Not worth getting mad over. The rules is the rules.

basilhenriques
11-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I always thought "with all due respect" was a way to civilly but firmly disagree. Not worth getting mad over. The rules is the rules.
Musta got kine bastardized along way..
Due to a COMPLAINT (God only knows why) The Ukulele is withdrawn until I can follow the rules-
1. Picture of the actual ukulele being sold. Not a stock photo of the model √
2. Reason why you are selling the instrument √
3. Price and Terms (S&H etc) X

In Particular proviso 3.
So It is NOT policy to ask for 'offers' ... WHY

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
oops...did we need more fuel on those smouldering embers? aawww

SuzukHammer
11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Suzuk's boy listens to Suzuk tell the story of the big bad wolf (mm stan) stealing milk and Kamaka Tiki's from little babys.

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 05:23 PM
HAHAHA!!!! Priceless Frank....

sorry Bruddah but I'm finding the image of you dressed as little red riding hood far too confronting for this time of night :uhoh:
Suzuk's boy listens to Suzuk tell the story of the big bad wolf (mm stan) stealing milk and Kamaka Tiki's from little babys.

SuzukHammer
11-11-2011, 05:25 PM
withdrawn! yikes. Who made the complaint?

things were going along fine.

SuzukHammer
11-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Come on Stan. Pick one.

Hippie Dribble
11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
on a side issue...

someone rated this thread a 1 star...I assume because the op didn't set a price etc. I think this is grossly unfair...because, not only is the instrument in question scarce and highly valuable AND in wonderful condition, the story behind it is very interesting and carries a great deal of meaning and sentiment AND others also not au fait with the rules of the marketplace would also benefit greatly from reading the comments herein.

If you agree with me you know what to do

mm stan
11-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Aloha Frankie,
They look lovely....however my popcorn is gone and so is the uke...and I was just starting to enjoy myself too... looks like we gotta wait now..awwww
If you had a Collins in one arm and a Kamaka in the other....I don't know which to take.. BTW....who said I had ukes...ha ha...after all it is a mystery isn't it?..... Your Friend, Stan
Wow 5 pages and 43 posts in several hours...woo hooo

PoiDog
11-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Apologies for not reading the forum selling rules. I got here via a link that bypassed that section.

Methinks the "Spirit of Aloha" just flew away.. "with all due respect" implies none..:mad:

I got to this section via a search engine, after reading the post the search engine found, I was prompted to make a sales post myself. The proviso regarding the modus operandi of the particular forum section that's a 'Sticky', was not obvious to me and in fairness is nowhere near prominent enough.. Lambasting me for forum formatting shortcomings is NOT the way to go IMHO. FWIW.
Basil Henriques

It's probably not a good idea for me to leap into this thing right now, but it seems that there are some raw feelings and more than a little misunderstanding.

Basil, I do understand some of your frustration, but perhaps ranting about what you perceive as shortcomings of this forum is not the best strategy. It's pretty common knowledge that any online community or forum has rules by which the members are asked to abide. It wouldn't take very much effort to learn them. After all, rules postings, stickies, and the like are not a new phenomenon unique to UU.

Still, I am sure everyone can empathize with the confusion and errors of someone new to a forum. Online communities (such as UU) are not that different than meatspace communities - there are both written and unwritten rules. The best way to learn both is by searching and observing. Kanaka's post to you may have been terse, but it wasn't nearly disrespectful enough for you to take the offense you seem to have.

Lastly, my biggest confusion is why this is continuing. You could easily have prevented this from escalating by simply apologizing and posting a sale price. Or, saying that you will re-list your uke once you have settled on a price. Instead, you almost defiantly continue to not post a price. That seems at least as disrespectful to the entire UU community as Kanaka's post to you was.

Musta got kine bastardized along way..
Due to a COMPLAINT (God only knows why) The Ukulele is withdrawn until I can follow the rules-
1. Picture of the actual ukulele being sold. Not a stock photo of the model √
2. Reason why you are selling the instrument √
3. Price and Terms (S&H etc) X

In Particular proviso 3.
So It is NOT policy to ask for 'offers' ... WHY

That was answered earlier in this thread, but to summarize, it's because UU is not ebay. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you don't understand the rules. If you are that put out by them, don't list your uke. Otherwise, just list a price and everyone is happy.

Again, I probably shouldn't have bothered but I felt this needed to be said. I don't mean to further fan any flames or to get your British pride in a twist. This really does just seem to be a misunderstanding that grew too large too fast. Take a breath, step back, and start over.

Just be cool. It's not that difficult.

SuzukHammer
11-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Aloha Frankie,
They look lovely....however my popcorn is gone and so is the uke...and I was just starting to enjoy myself too... looks like we gotta wait now..awwww
If you had a Collins in one arm and a Kamaka in the other....I don't know which to take.. BTW....who said I had ukes...ha ha...after all it is a mystery isn't it?..... Your Friend, Stan

I too was having too much fun. I swear my heart was pounding at breakfast. I'm like, "let's get a to go bag" Let's go honey!! No need for the bathroom"

I understood that Basil was looking for offers. It didn't mean he had to take the first offer and his sale would have been subjective. As such, it was fun to try and fight for this little instrument.

A few months back someone was trying to sell 2 of these repaired. I wanted to purchase one but was out of work at the time so... when I saw this, I got instant impulse.

oh well, it was fun.

basilhenriques
11-11-2011, 05:49 PM
big bad wolf (mm stan) stealing milk and Kamaka Tiki's from little babys.
Not so much you might find. Dis malihini no um sucker, as fo da complainer, God goin do plenny good kine stuff fo him, NOT ....
Shoulda see dat' shit coming brah! he stay 'tinking he da kine!
Me don pau..now

Kanaka916
11-11-2011, 05:53 PM
OK guys, I'm gonna close this out before too many other folk start posting and gets out of hand. Basil, if you do decide to sell, please open another thread. You do have members interested. If you have any questions, send me or any of the other mods a PM.