Warning to All Ukulele Players!!!!

uker62

Reaction score
I've posted on this topic before. I love playing my ukulele, but now I have serious competition for my musical affections. I discovered the C scale 5 string banjo. Oh my God!!!. It's easy to tune this little sucker to cGCEA and it plays just like a ukulele, but sounds just like a banjo. It's addictive, and what it does for your ability to fingerpick the uke is awesome.
I seriously suggest you check out the GoldTone CC-Mini.

I have the full size banjo of this model tuned to G and it sounds great. Gold tone makes really good instruments for the price.

Those are beautiful and I love the banjo sound. I looked through the site and that beginners model (cc-50rp?) would be my choice (if I was getting into banjos). Clearly superior to the open backed models. I like that it has that fender on top where your arm goes over too.
Ernest

Kinda looks like a 5 string version of their baritone banjo uke

You might want to consider trying an open tuning after your foray into the uke style tuning. Open tunings allow for quite a few options and sounds for the banjo.

They stay in tune very well. Price for the "Plucky" is about 300$CDN and the CC-mini is about 450$CDN.

Yes, I agree about the open tunings. This also opens up the opportunity to experiment with a slide during some songs. All in all, great fun.

Well, I just pluck it with my ol' thumb pick whenever it seems like it sounds good. Sometimes I don't like the sound of that "C" in what ever chord I'm playing, but most of the time it's good. All in all I just sort of Travis style pick and its really nice. Try different rhythms and just try to have fun.

Try some clawhammer. you'll be hooked. I was considering getting the Gold Tone plucky (same tuning as yours) but opted for the full size 5 string G tuning. I still love the uke more but yeah the 5 string is fun.
Don't claim to be any good, but here are a couple of videos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom