PDA

View Full Version : Holding Uke Standing?

Maxjunk
11-12-2011, 06:37 AM
I've been playing for a little over five months now, and I'm doing very well, but I still have one major problem. How do I hold my ukulele and play standing up without a uke leash or some other strap? I can do finger picking fine standing up, but I can only really get to four strums before the thing slips and I have to stop for a second so I can push it back up. So does anyone have any advice on how to hold a concert uke while standing?

mascompro
11-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Velcro ? :nana:

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
11-12-2011, 06:49 AM
A few tips:

1. Wear short sleeves or roll up long sleeves. My uke still manages to slip away if I forget to roll up my sleeves.

2. Hold the uke against your body with your forearm, strum using only the motion of your wrist, thumb, and fingers. Arm for holding ukulele, wrist/hand for strumming.

3. Stick to one "stand-up" strum pattern until you've solved the slipping issue. Common strum (down, up, down, up, ...) is a good choice, but whatever comes naturally for you should work.

4. Be patient. It takes a while to get this down. Remember to sit down and strum away if you get frustrated, then try standing again next practice session.

byjimini
11-12-2011, 07:18 AM
The easiest (as in, next-to-no effort for maximum effect) way is to put/get a luthier to put strap buttons on it for you.

coolkayaker1
11-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I saw Jake Shimabukuro in concert a few days ago. He plays standing always. He always used a full strap.

So, you're in good company.

I, complete amateur, use a uke leash or strap, too. So, you're in bad company, too. At least you're in company. LOL

kaizersoza
11-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Lori's uke leash works then in between songs you can just let it dangle

Lori
11-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I saw Jake Shimabukuro in concert a few days ago. He plays standing always. He always used a full strap.

So, you're in good company.

I, complete amateur, use a uke leash or strap, too. So, you're in bad company, too. At least you're in company. LOL

I saw Jake in concert a year ago, and at that time he had no strap. He would sit down occasionally, but he would also walk around and play. This year he started using a strap. James Hill uses a strap. Some people have a convenient body type, that will support the uke. Those of us who don't, usually like a strap of some type.
–Lori

neonistic
11-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Who wants to play standing up? :D I use a leash. It is very nice. I even use it sitting. There is nothing like having support while shifting between chords!

molokinirum
11-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Hold your uke like you would a football. That will help, otherwise, get a strap.

OldePhart
11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Glue a strip of that non-slip shelf lining to the back. Works great and doesn't snag clothing like velcro can.

John