The Makala Tenor

NoahOathKeeper

Reaction score
***I did a search here in forums before posted this and did not find what i was looking for***

The Budget , im on a budget but i still really want a descent Tenor ukulele . ive been looking at buying a Makala off amazon its cheaply priced http://www.amazon.com/Kala-MK-T-Makala-Tenor-Ukulele/dp/B001731R6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1321122214&sr=1-1
i really like yall's input of this cheaper laminate ukulele and reviews from people who has owned one . also any warnings about these that im looking to buy in the link above would also be nice , thank you for your time

I'm thinking about getting one of these myself, what's holding me from buying from Amazon etc is the lack of setup. I'd rather pay a little more (even when I'm on a budget to) and get a decent setup. Just my thoughts.

I'm thinking about getting one of these myself, what's holding me from buying from Amazon etc is the lack of setup. I'd rather pay a little more (even when I'm on a budget to) and get a decent setup. Just my thoughts.
ohh i agree 100% on this , its holding me back also, one major issue i have is No shop within 100 miles carry this brand AT all the best i have anywhere close to me is oscarsmit and the shop is VERY pricey , usually 80 bucks over suggested retail price at least

My advice would be to spend a little extra and order the laminate Islander at Hawaii Music Supply.

When you mean setup are you talking about the action and intonation of the uke? Because if you are, I can say with confidence that it's set up is good enough for the price point. The music store I work at is a pretty big uke retailer, and I make sure that we're always well stocked on MK-T's. They're very playable and the I say they're great ukes to purchase on your budget. Shoot me a PM, I'll be willing to work with you on getting a good uke!

The MK-T was my first uke and although I now have quite a few others it's still one of my favorite players. I don't think they can be beat for the price. Check with Mim or Uke Republic to get one set up with Aquilas, I think Hawai'i Music Supply has them too.

It was my first as well, once it's re-strung it's actually a fantastic ukulele, especially considering the price.

I have one and other than the higher action there is nothing wrong with it. But the higher action actually helps when picking vs. strumming. I have a concert and had a soprano too (gave it to my mom for Christmas). They get the job done. Do they sound as good as a $500 koa? Nope. They weren't made to.

My advice would be to spend a little extra and order the laminate Islander at Hawaii Music Supply.

:agree: Am hearing some unbelievable feedback from the laminated Islanders, some comparing them to some higher-end ukes in sound, fit, and finish.

Save up and get an Islander!!! No kidding. . . it will be more than worth it, and maybe the last uke you will ever need. . . . . .or want! Let's get serious for a miunte. so many people feel that they have to get a $700 - $1,200 uke, and they never play it for anyone but themselves. No one gets the blessing of hearing good music from it. Let professional players spend this money. You will be very happy wth any well made instrument in the $100 - $300 range.

Top Bottom