PDA

View Full Version : PODCAST- Hot Jazz Cowboy Style

TCK
11-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Might as well throw a little Hank Penny out there for everyone. Great old Western Swing on really scratchy old records and mind-blowing MONO!
Some of the greatest players to ever pick up instruments are included herein...Herb Remington (also an accomplished Hawaiian Steel Player), Noel Boggs, Spade Cooley, Jimmy Wyble...but at the front is that great vocal style and leadership of Mr. Penny, who only charted three times in his career. Oh well, if the popular consumption of music dictates what is good or not, I am totally on the wrong page.
Listen along if you have a minute
Won't You Ride In My Little Red Wagon? (http://dlaurice.podomatic.com/entry/2011-11-12T11_18_17-08_00)
Cheers- and sorry for the hisses, pops and scratches :)

Hippie Dribble
11-12-2011, 09:48 AM
what a brilliant set. thanks for this Dave...had no idea who Hank Penny was and have sure been the poorer for it. "Hot Jazz, Hillbilly Style"...sure is :)

wee_ginga_yin
11-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Great stuff. I love you for putting up "The Monkey Speaks His Mind" by Dave Bartholemew
I thought I was the only one who liked that stuff.

TCK
11-12-2011, 08:16 PM
You are not alone Wee Ginga....
And Jon, big ups- thanks for tuning in guys :)

joep
11-13-2011, 05:34 AM
You have my thanks also. I bookmarked it so its easily found.

TCK
11-13-2011, 01:07 PM
You have my thanks also. I bookmarked it so its easily found.
Thanks for listening in Joe, glad you enjoyed the set. Have anything you want to hear just let me know.

mm stan
11-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Wow he had a smooth and pleasant voice..awesome..Mahalo Dave...

23skidoo
11-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Had a hectic weekend and still haven't had a chance to sit down and have a listen...... you know me, man, this is right up my alley, can't wait to put on the headphones and spend another quality hour with the Cloverdale Kid.....

TCK
11-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks lads- Skidoo, I hate those weekends. Take a breather mate- it'll be a treat I promise ;)

fordie55
11-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Love the podcast, tons of great music

southcoastukes
11-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Always late to the party!

Really nice, Kid -

This is the kind of stuff I used to hear as a kid at the state fairs, horse shows and rodeos. Hank Thompson & the Brazos Valley Boys, Leon McAuliffe & his Cimarron Boys, double-header every New Years' Eve. Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzell, Bob Wills and that outlaw kid, Merle. Grew up cowboy before goin' south. Cowboy/Jazz - Jazz/Cowboy. Then throw in Basie and McShann courtesy of my "Big City" mom.

Got to say Hank Penny is a name that's only vaguely familiar. The songs have a familiar ring, but if I were to say any of them jogs a memory, maybe "Red Wagon" or "No Fuss".

The main thing is that Hank and his boys can swing! And write a great lyric! "The Mink on her back brought the Wolf to my Door..." - one of many.

Great Work - "You Jus' a Ape"!

TCK
11-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Glad you dug it FOrdie. Thanks for listening.
Dirk- I would give my eye teeth to see any of those acts. Green with envy mate. By the time I cam around, it was all Donny and Marie and downhill. Hank is pretty under-rated I figure, not a lot of folks have heard his stuff, which is sad because you are right, he certainly can swing. I am going to assume all the same guys that made the Spade Cooley and Bob Wills records are on these- one in particular would be Jimmy Wyble. I went to college with a relative of his and have asked her to either send me his credits or search through them to see if he is on these, because it sure does sound like him. Anyway- certainly great records, I am glad you enjoyed them.
Red Wagon is probably familiar for a reason though...Hank Thompson recorded it first (Hank Penny just stole it :))
Thanks for tuning in- late to the party is still arriving right?

I ended up ordering that Jazzology Ike CD...but I think they are walking it here- emailed them twice and no reply, but they have my money, hopefully it gets here soon (5 weeks?)