Darn it

Nickie

Reaction score
I am just starting to learn to play songs that have to be chorded with my pinkie finger, and it is so much more fun now. Then last night, I got something stuck in my pinkie finger, and it hurts like hell to put it on a string. Spent $50 at a walk in clinic and they couldn't find a darn thing. Now I have to soak it 4 times a day to try and let work its way out. Ouch!

Hi Nickie,
What is the size of ukulele you ever played? perhaps a change a tenor size uke to soprano, or concert to soprano, can help prevent pain.
Start slowly, playing less than one hour per day can be a way to adapt without forcing your finger.

I had this problem when I learned to play acoustic bass...

Bummer...once I got a small shard of glass stuck in my pinkie finger. It was barely big enough to be seen, but it was there, and fingering the strings hurt a ton, because the shard was grinding against the bone in my pinkie. In the end it took about a week and a half to work itself out, but it was immensely painful the entire time. I recommend just resting your hand for a few days...hopefully it will just work itself out!

Good luck!!

As a Cabinetmaker, barely a day goes by when I don't get at least one cut or splinter somewhere in my hands. Sometimes they are initially too small or too deep to find. But after a day or so as the foreign object causes irritation, they usually can be seen because of the red irritation under the skin. 1.75 magnification glasses, a clean, sharp razor blade, followed by a band-aid and Neosporin are my weapons of choice. Digging them out is not a procedure for the faint of heart, but relief is immediate and the Neosporin hastens the healing process. You'll be fretting with that pinky again before you know it. Good luck Nickie!

Thanks. So far I haven't found anyone brave enough to help me dig it out. I played ukulele with it last night, it wasn't too bad, but typing is the worst!

Top Bottom