PDA

View Full Version : Are we a bunch of punk kids?

rayan
09-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Some other forums seem to think so. :D

deach
09-15-2008, 09:06 AM
As an 18 year old spoiled American, I proudly say YES. I am a punk kid and proud of it.

russ_buss
09-15-2008, 09:07 AM
i'm a punk adult. someday, i'll have punk kids of my own.

seeso
09-15-2008, 09:08 AM
It seriously makes my heart glow when someone calls me a punk kid. Damn right I am!

:nana:

rayan
09-15-2008, 09:10 AM
As an 18 year old spoiled American, I proudly say YES. I am a punk kid and proud of it.

You sure got a lot of kids for someone only 18 years old :uhoh:

deach
09-15-2008, 09:11 AM
You sure got a lot of kids for someone only 18 years old :uhoh:

That's how we punks roll.

rayan
09-15-2008, 09:13 AM
This poll reminds me of the 'Primus Sucks' chant...

jjsdad
09-15-2008, 09:14 AM
I think I was born an ol' fart...

Aldrine Guerrero
09-15-2008, 09:14 AM

I am not originally from this country
I am past the 18 mark
Therefore I CANNOT be a punk kid.

We old foreigners are hilarious. w3 aer t3h mor3 aw3s0m3 s0 w3 post it on zee internets

LOL

rayan
09-15-2008, 09:15 AM
That's how we punks roll.

True dat. I guess punk kids give away tons of ukuleles, T-shirts, and CDs to random strangers these days too.

deach
09-15-2008, 09:16 AM
This poll reminds me of the 'Primus Sucks' chant...

lol.

Rayan, seriously. Don't sweat what other forums think of UU. I'd rather not fit into the traditional, non-innovative, tip-toe-through-the-tulips box. That's what playing the uke is all about anyways isn't it?

this is not your father's uke

haole
09-15-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm so punk that I play "Tiptoe" with pride.

rayan
09-15-2008, 09:19 AM

That is so metal!:music:

Aldrine Guerrero
09-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I'd rather not fit into the traditional, non-innovative, tip-toe-through-the-tulips box. That's what playing the uke is all about anyways isn't it?

Tiny Tim > Jake Shimabukuro

haole
09-15-2008, 09:20 AM
That is so metal!:music:

Especially if you play it as a polka. :nana:

russ_buss
09-15-2008, 09:21 AM

mraz > deach > santa claus

deach

Who is this Jake guy everyone keeps talking about?

Guting
lulz .

deach
09-15-2008, 09:22 AM
mraz > deach > santa claus

Swayze > russ_buss > Hey There Delilah

Aldrine Guerrero
09-15-2008, 09:23 AM

I was looking for the tabs to "I'm Yours" and found "tip toe" instead.

Changed my life forever

seeso
09-15-2008, 09:23 AM
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8384/punkkidjs8.jpg

haole
09-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Did I hear that the next UU contest is a "Tiptoe" cover contest?

deach
09-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Did I hear that the next UU contest is a "Tiptoe" cover contest?

I would sponsor that!

deach
09-15-2008, 09:25 AM
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/8384/punkkidjs8.jpg

That kid is a such a Republican!

seeso
09-15-2008, 09:25 AM
we we > UU > me me

deach
09-15-2008, 09:26 AM
we we > UU > me me

My we we is proud!

tad
09-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Personally, I'd like to consider myself an edupunk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edupunk).

Actually, UU itself is kinda edupunk.

NukeDOC
09-15-2008, 10:02 AM
hahaha id rather be a punk ass kid than a square old fart. but if advocating the integration of all aspects of music to coexist harmoniously with the ukulele instead of segregating genres because of prejudice toward the typical instruments used, the appearances associated with a certain genre, and out of utter stupidity and conceit makes me a punk ass kid, then so be it.

how awesome would it be to see a band consisting of a harp, violin, tuba, guitar, bass, drum, ukulele, and kazoo playing metal... and sound great? yeah i thought so. hahaha.

i vote yes, we are punk kids... proudly.

deach
09-15-2008, 10:04 AM
hahaha id rather be a punk ass kid than a square old fart. but if advocating the integration of all aspects of music to coexist harmoniously with the ukulele instead of segregating genres because of prejudice toward the typical instruments used, the appearances associated with a certain genre, and out of utter stupidity and conceit makes me a punk ass kid, then so be it.

Holy Word-of-the-day calendar Mr. Webster! That's a long sentence.

- punk kid

deach
09-15-2008, 10:05 AM
how awesome would it be to see a band consisting of a harp, violin, tuba, guitar, bass, drum, ukulele, and kazoo playing metal... and sound great? yeah i thought so. hahaha.

You left out pan flute. I knew you were an elitist.

Slick
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
I know I'm a "grumpy old fart", but I enjoy hanging with you "punk-assed kids". Old age is just so confusing :confused:.

Now where did I put my ukulele???

rayan
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
hahaha id rather be a punk ass kid than a square old fart.

I don't think age has anything to do with it. UU has awesome people of all ages. It's just some people get it, and others don't. The whole poll was just a joke. hehe, it doesn't matter what anyone votes because we all know what we are and what we're doing here.

russ_buss
09-15-2008, 10:28 AM
...because we all know what we are and what we're doing here.

true enough. i'm still looking for those "I'm Yours" tabs.

cheers to being young and old farts!

freedive135
09-15-2008, 10:47 AM
That's kind of funny seeing as when I was starting out I found this site thru another Uke Forum.
Now this is the only one I goto unless my fingers hurt from playin!!!

I was just thinking today I wonder what the avg. age is here sometimes I feel like an old man here.

I guess you can count me as a punk kid, I still haven't learned to play Five Foot Two.

NukeDOC
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't think age has anything to do with it. UU has awesome people of all ages. It's just some people get it, and others don't. The whole poll was just a joke. hehe, it doesn't matter what anyone votes because we all know what we are and what we're doing here.

yeah my whole post was mean to not be taken too seriously. age is a state of mind. im turning 32 on wednesday. i have two kids. and i have 5 jobs. if i allowed my attitude to grow with my biological age, i would have a lot more health problems than i do know.

Lanark
09-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm so punk I've seen both the original Misfits (with Danzig) and Liberace perform live during the first Reagan Administration. (unfortunately it was not on the same bill.)

MGM
09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=NukeDOC;60777]hahaha id rather be a punk ass kid than a square old fart.
QUOTE]

Hey watch out for us old farts.....not quite square though.... maybe a litlle rolly polly...lol

Tim
09-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I knew it was something about this site that I liked...

dnewton2
09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Someone once said "I am what I am". Pretty sure it was Popeye.

deach
09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Someone once said "I am what I am". Pretty sure it was Popeye.

I think Popeye said "I yam whad I yam."

h-drix
09-15-2008, 02:40 PM
my uke teacher found out that i was from UU and gave me some hassle for being one of those "punk kids"

Slick
09-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey watch out for us old farts.....not quite square though

Me neither, I'd have to be to be a little taller to be square :rofl:

Waterguy
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
If by Punk kids you mean people who were kids when Punk rock started then I'm a Punk kid. I was 13 when The Ramones formed.

Punk Kid to the core.

Howlin Hobbit
09-15-2008, 05:18 PM
hahaha id rather be a punk ass kid than a square old fart.

I may be an old fart, but I'm a swingin' old fart, not a square.

(And don't you punk kids forget it! Now, pull up your pants. And get offa my lawn!)

SamIAm
09-15-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm so punk I've seen both the original Misfits (with Danzig) and Liberace perform live during the first Reagan Administration. (unfortunately it was not on the same bill.)

Tht would have been crazy. IF THE UKES ARE UNITED!!! (i doubt any of u will get this joke)

UkeNinja
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
The whole poll was just a joke
You seriously had me believing that 50/50 thing was evened out by my vote! Dang, punked again.

Won't say what I voted though... :nana: whoop whoop!

edit: eeey--- waidaminnit! The poll is for real!

ricdoug
09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
edit: eeey--- waidaminnit! The poll is for real!

No doubt! LOL! Having raised three young adults (all in their 20's and 30's, now), I know they would take pride in being called "punk kids" in the context of this thread. Out of the paradigm and into the rebellion.

Five Foot Two is still a great uke classic, but what would music be if it only followed one genre? Examples like Jake, Aldrine and Rayan are proof positive that champions ride on the shoulders of champions. Real musicians appreciate the progress and success of other musicians.

At 59, I'm prolly' one of the older "punk kids" in the Ukulele Underground and damned proud of it! We learn from each other and the day we stop doing that, we'll stagnate like the stuck-ups. Three words from granpa' Ric: "Ain't gonna' happen"! Rock on, UU!!!

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-15-2008, 11:04 PM
lulz .

LOLOL!!!

whats the other website?? lets flame there website.

sukie
09-16-2008, 08:04 AM
I don't think I'm a punk kid, but I guess I could be. To my 99-year old clients I'm a kid, no? My own kid, who is 23, thinks I'm a freak cuz I play the uke. But then he's an alternative kid anyway. Maybe his opinion doesn't count.

deach
09-16-2008, 08:12 AM
.... My own kid, who is 23, thinks I'm a freak cuz I play the uke. .....

This sounds like a compliment to me.

ricdoug
09-16-2008, 08:14 AM
LOLOL!!!

whats the other website?? lets flame there website.

I've already spilled a little gas on that flame, UkuLeLesReggAe. The *baleted* is a different format than the UU. There are some pretty good posters over there, too, but they love to scrap. Ric

deach
09-16-2008, 08:25 AM
I've already spilled a little gas on that flame, UkuLeLesReggAe. The *baleted* is a different format than the UU. There are some pretty good posters over there, too, but they love to scrap. Ric

*Nothing to see here, move along*

This clears up a lot of things....and that's all I'm gonna say.

rayan
09-16-2008, 08:30 AM
This clears up a lot of things....and that's all I'm gonna say.

Yeah, ricdoug was holding down the fort all by himself over there. It's all good though, like I stated before, it's not a matter of age or anything, it's just a difference between people who get it, and people who don't.

We're trying to change the world, and you can do something like that without ruffling a few feathers.

But yeah, to some, we are a "tedious bunch of spotty, teenaged emo tosspots!" whatever the f that means.

freedive135
09-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Well I just read thru that whole Comos post....

Emo tospots hmm... I think I'm alittle to old and happy to be Emo and even though black does look slimming a Hawiian shirt just looks better on me.

Seems someone one the other side of the pond has no humor or maybe it's just a gray day in jolly old England.

I guess someone took offence to something that was said to Pete the uke builder here at UU but I don't see Pete stirring the pot!!!

They did give some props to Aldrine though!!!!

Let's just let the old limey fops have their little twitter session and be glad we don't have to belittle others.

OR will it be a battle between Ukulele Underground and The Cosmos!!!!

rayan
09-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Wow... I was going to let this whole thing die, but I was browsing around their forum and that one guy who was bashing me started bashing a member of UU in another thread. That seriously pisses me off. Pick on me all you want, but don't put down the younger generation of uke players who are doing something positive. What the heck is wrong with that guy 'arch'?

Neil Cursed Diamond
09-16-2008, 10:57 AM
^ Thats pretty screwed up if its true. Why would you rip a free educational site anyway? Trying improve his street cred or what?

I've looked at other forums, and really, nothing matches UU. Its enthusiasm for ukuleles, music, and each other in general that makes it the best. Theres more charity here than anywhere I've seen on there internet. The ukulele really has kind of a bad rep in a lot of places, and its that kind of attitude thats already making UU one of the big movers and shakers in ukulele, not some weird "get off my lawn" attitude and elitism.

If that makes me a punk, I guess I'm a punk.

sukie
09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Oh! It's that uke forum. Well, no wonder. I quit checking them out because they were too snobbish for me. And that was before I heard anything about them putting UU down.

Take'em on Rayan.

rayan
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I've decided that even talking about that place anymore is a waste of everyone's time here. I'm sure there are some really great people there but there are some that I just feel sorry for. I'll probably never know what happened to them to put them in such a negative funk. Anyways. Back to being who we are. I'm closing this thread. Thank you to everybody who comes to UU. You guys get it, this site is all for you peeps. :music: