Acoustic Steel String

Kazz3lrath

Reaction score
I have seen quite a few steel string ukes, but they all seem to be electric (like the Monkey Wrench). Are there any good acoustic steel string ukes? Tenor would probably be the size I am looking for.

Monkey Wrench makes a steel string acoustic uke. If you go to their blog here and scroll down a bit there's a video of someone playing one.

It's kinda tough to hear the acoustic monkey wrench in the video, although what can be heard it pretty neat.

You could also try an Ohana Tiple from UkeRepublic. It's a 10-steel string, tenor uke-sized instrument tuned like a ukulele but in octaves. I've got one and a vintage Bruno, and I love them both a whole lot.

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-tiple-tk-35g-10

Forgive my ignorance, but how is the tiple tuned like uke? Inquiring minds want to know. Not sure about 10 strings, fingering, etc, but I love taropatches. I hear they are extremely touchy to tune?

It's tuned ADF#B or GCEA. For all intents and purposes, I'll refer to the tuning as the C tuning. The G string has a low G and a high G string. The C and E strings have two high strings and one low string each. Finally, the A strings are tuned in unison as high As.

They're fairly touchy to get "exactly right". Intonation can also be a problem when going very high on the neck. But tiples were designed as rhythm instruments anyway, strumming chords in the first position mostly. If you tune it to itself, you shouldn't have a problem at all.

Top Bottom