Help!

FixYou

Reaction score
Heyy,
Every time I try to write a song I end up thinking the lyrics are stupid. How do I get more confidence in my writing? Reply with any advice you may have.
~~Thanks! :)

Why do you think they are stupid ? Ever look at some lyrics like ob-la-di ob-la-da ? To have confidence in your writing, have confidence in yourself :) Lyrics dont have to be ultra-super-duper profond to have meaning. Let them come out of you naturally; dont try to overthink.

Just my 2 cents :eek:

I don't know..I guess I always just think of my songs as stupid and sappy , but you're right, I shouldn't over-think it. Thanks for the advice! :)

Try the Roxette method.. start with the melody, then add meaningless sounds that sound good with the melody. Then transform the sounds to similar-sounding words, then tweak them slightly so that it sounds catchy unless you listen too closely.. most hit songs (even the lasting ones) are written that way.

There are very little hit song lyrics which will survive actually looking at the words. Those few that do stand very tall, of course.

The other approach, writing good, meaningful lyrics and then making it into a song rarely works well. It's more important that the sound of the words work together with the melody and triggers something that the listener can transform into some vague meaning that works for that particular listener - and differently for another.

The strange thing is that this works.. 'hey soul sister' has the most meaningless dribble you can imagine, but it doesn't sound like that when it's used in the actual song.

Ever tried to really _read_ the lyrics of a U2 song you may have liked? It'll probably crash the whole song - certainly did for me. In that sense the soul sister non-lyrics is actually much better.

-Tor

Top Bottom